Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
positive words
lucy4219 posted:
I noticed that most of the posts on this board are about supply issues and weaning. And I just really want to let all the stuggling mother out there know that it can be done. You can breastfeed if it's what you really want. Just hang in there and don't give up. Trust your body and your baby. If human infants' survial was totally dependent on formula our species wouldn't be 2 million years old.
Don't worry about measuring how much your baby eats. If baby is gaining weight and well hydrated it doesn't matter what volume of milk baby consumed.
Second, only wean when you and baby are ready. And understand that weaning can occur at different times for different mother-baby pairs. My first daughter nursed for sixteen months. Your baby might nurse for a shorter or longer time but don't give into social pressures about weaning. Nurse your baby proudly for as long as the two of you want, in private and out in public. Don't ever be ashamed to nurse your baby. Nursing is a wonderful, beautiful, natural thing. I would much rather my three-year-old see you nursing a baby than hear you use foul language any day. Even if the nipple shows breifly. If she sees nursing maybe she'll grow up to nurse her children too.

bbylove21 responded:
Amen!!!!!!!!!!! it was hard to bf , i dreaded feeding time because it hurt like a mother lol, but kept with it and now i have a 95th percentile baby boy

Spotlight: Member Stories

I married my best friend in May of 2008, although we lived across the street from each other since the 6th grade, we never talked till after high scho...More

Helpful Tips

Want to read "discussions" only?
Well that's easy too, on the left hand side you see many links one of them is "discussions", click on it and you'll only see the ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.