Skip to content
why did it start?
sydneyrenee posted:
i have been doing a combo of breastfeeding and bottle since my daughter was 2 1/2 months old. until today my period has never occurred. i am on a birth control that also has dropped my milk supply which is why i started formula along with breast milk. my supply is so low that i can only feed her in the morning and then again at night before i put her to bed. is my feeding so little the reason my period started up? if i pump what ever i can a few time a day will it go away? my daughter and i recently developed colds she was not wanting to feed off the breast very long. any ideas???

phoenix31674 responded:
To keep your period at bay, you need to be feeding about every 3 hours or sooner, so your infrequent feeding would be why it came back. Unfortunately once it's back it won't go away. Did you talk to your doc about your supply? I know that I'm on the mini-pill this time and last and it never affected my supply, but the combo estrogen/progesterone pills will drop it which is why most docs won't prescribe that pill.

lucy4219 responded:
with both my daughters mine was back with six weeks of birth, and I exclusively breastfeed both for the first four months of their lives. i have friends who didn't get theirs back for over a year. I wish I had been that lucky, but every woman's body is just different.
if you want to increase your supply nurse the baby every chance you get and pump every two hours when you can't actually nurse. also, i've heard that eating lots of oatmeal will help bring up supply.

Spotlight: Member Stories

The story I need to tell is the one about fighting infertility, through the two miscarriages and finally the light at the end of a long, dark tunnel-t...More

Helpful Tips

Looking for Tips on how to get around?
Be sure to check out the Community News Blog and the WebMD Welcome Exchange More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 20 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.