Skip to content
Can a women drink milk and breastfeed.
BeautifulBuffalo posted:
My daughter has a 2 week old baby boy and is breast feeding. She was told today that she cant drink milk or have milk products and breast feed to. They told her this is why he is crying after he eats because of an upset stomach.
BB

phoenix31674 responded:
They are probably suggesting this to see if the baby has a sensitivity/allergy to cow's milk protein. It can be passed through breast milk. Some mothers out there have to alter their diets because the babies are sensitive to something the mother is eating.

My son was tongue tied and ended up ingesting a lot of air while eating which led to gasiness because even the best burp would not get all the air out. It might be worth having someone check his latch. When he eats there should not be much slurping. If there is a lot, he's not latched properly and that may be the root of his fussiness.

Even cutting dairy out, that may not be the thing causing is fussiness, but it's a starting point in the elimination diet. It also may be possible that he has reflux - which is unrelated to the mother's diet. Unfortunately it may take some trial and error to pin down his fussiness.

Best of luck to all.

BeautifulBuffalo replied to phoenix31674's response:
a Dr. didn't tell her someone she knows told her this. Her Dr. said mix the breast milk with a spoon of cereal which will give the milk a little solidity. My daughter is afraid to give her 2 week old baby baby food this soon. She's a new nervous mom trying to go by the book.
BB

phoenix31674 replied to BeautifulBuffalo's response:
Two weeks does seem a little soon to try a little cereal for reflux. While friends may mean well, every baby is different and some people have outdated knowledge on baby care. Even a few years has made a difference in recommendations.

Finding a breastfeeding mother support group would be a good idea. La Leche League can provide some advice and support as could a certified lactation consultant. They can tell her what sort of foods are most likely to cause gas or fussiness in the baby. I would try eliminating those and using some sort of gas drops before turning to cereal. She is right to be concerned about that. You might also point her to http://kellymom.com which is a great support and information site.

Given the pedi is recommending cereal so soon, your friend may want to look into a second opinion.

Quintessa2 replied to phoenix31674's response:
First of all DO NOT GIVE HER CEREAL. Her little digestive system is not developed and you can make things worse. Is she burping good after feeding? If not wait a few minutes then burp. You have to do that or the gas moves into the lower intestines and will give her stomache pains and gas. Also try eliminating foods one by one. Start with dairy that is usually he culprit then move to caffiene and so on.

Also, from my experience these last few months there is absoutly a large number of women out there with outdated knowledge. People keep telling me to give my baby food or formula because that will keep him full longer. That is completely wrong and crazy according to recent baby research we should not be doing those things at all. Do your own research and do not listen to anything your friends say unless they have the scientific information to back it up.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm a Forensic Drug Chemist, back to working (and pumping!) full time. Married to my high school sweetheart, Chris since 1998. We've been toge...More

Helpful Tips

Want to read "discussions" only?
Well that's easy too, on the left hand side you see many links one of them is "discussions", click on it and you'll only see the ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.