Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
First feed after birth
OMRIK posted:
I came to know that certain hospitals feed the newborn formula milk before handing over to the mom for the first breast feeding. Is this practice normal? Will feeding colostrum after the baby has been first introduced to formula milk have any adverse effects on the baby?

Olivetre responded:
My daughter never left the room and came straight to me after they cleaned her. The only time they gave her formula was when she got her shot to calm her down the next day.

ButterflyBaby1107 responded:
You need to tell your doctors and nurses that you wish to breastfeed and instruct them not to feed the baby a bottle or give it a pacifier.

bbylove21 responded:
my baby stayed in the room the whole time, they did give him a paci after his circ but he didn't take it , not sure about any effects if you feel strongly about bf i wouldn't let them feed the baby formula

Spotlight: Member Stories

First time mom just trying to figure it all out.. Have a beautiful son Sean born 5~3~2012

Helpful Tips

Looking for Tips on how to get around?
Be sure to check out the Community News Blog and the WebMD Welcome Exchange More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 20 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.