Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
I need help...
im_onle_me posted:
SO here is my story; my son is 2 1/2 weeks old and right now getting only formula. I really really really wanted to exclusively breastfeed only for at least the first 6 months of his life. I am having a REALLY hard time with the breastfeeding. My nipples are flat so he has a hard time latching on. I was given two nipple shields at the hospital to take home with me to help him latch on. However, my problem started about the time he turned a week old. I cannot produce enough milk!! Because he was not getting enough milk from me I started pumping and mixing my milk with the formula. At first I got about 2oz. After a day or so it went down to 1 1/2oz and now it's mainly between 1/2oz to 1oz. My son currently eats 4oz every 3 to 4 hours of formula. I originally mixed 2oz of formula with 1oz of my milk but as I continued to pump, I wasn't getting enough milk. I am currently only pumping and would REALLY love to get him off of the bottle and on just my breast. I've recently read that I should just breastfeed and then pump right after to get my milk supply up. I also read about taking some Fenugreek. I think I am going to try doing both and see how it goes. Does anyone else have any suggestions that will help me get my son on just breastfeeing and no more formula?

Sorry this is so long...

phoenix31674 responded:
Do you have a lactation consultant in your area? They can offer some wonderful advice for getting babies to latch. The baby is going to be the most efficient way to get milk out of your breasts. Pumps can do a decent job, with the hospital grade ones the best, but many women do have output problems if just pumping.

Some other tips are to make sure that you are getting plenty of fluids. If you are slightly dehydrated your milk production won't be very high, so you might want to try drinking an extra glass or two of water during the day.

If you are birth control pills, make sure it's the progesterone only or mini pill. The combo pills can dry up milk supplies.

Eating oatmeal is also supposed to help. I don't know if it matters what type of oats they are (rolled, quick, instant, steel cut).

Check out http://www.kellymom.com for some more tips.

noelle1225 replied to phoenix31674's response:
Def find an LC in your area, insurance will usually cover all but a co-pay. Also Mother's Milk Tea helps some ladies w supply issues. You can order it online. And of course, water, water, water and lots of good nutrition! It takes alot to make milk. My baby isn't quite here yet, but these are some tips from my BF'ing class I took w my LC. She even gave us samples of the tea. She also said BF'ing can burn like 500 calories at a time so that's why it is so important to be well hydrated and well fed. Good luck.

Olivetre responded:
The best way to increase production is to let him feed as long as he wants and as often as he needs to. It may be every 2 hours or so but it will help increase your production. I have taken Fenugreek and Mother's Milk Tea and they do seem to help. I took them for three days and my production increased. Like pps said make sure you stay hydrated and try to eat at the same times if possible. I've heard about trying to place heated rags on your breast before feeding to make the let down come faster but it is not anything that I have tried. Try not to stress out because that will also reduce production.

When my daughter (2 1/2 mths) starts to fuss I have to try to tune it out so I don't stress out too much. She gets gassy from time to time so she will fight eating. Once she is able to pass some she will relax and feed. So far I have been able to keep up even after going back to work. In the morning I eat instant oatmeal and I can tell a difference when I eat something else. If you like oatmeal try to have some throughout the day and see if that may help.

Breannah0712 responded:
You can try a nipple shield for your flat nipples it worked for me. Also to try and increase your milk supply, my WIC Councillor told me to eat more oatmeal. It's supposed to help increase your supply. I hope everything works out. Breastfeeding is really rewarding. Good Luck

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm a 36 year old first time mom of Lauren. She was born 10/12/10. I am bf exclusively, but plan to pump from time to time so that I have back up ...More

Helpful Tips

New Breastfeeding Pad - EpiBi Nursing Pads
Hello all, My aunt has developed a new innovative nursing pad that is currently available, and I just wanted to share it with you. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.