Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Possible Pregnancy?
Kate32114 posted:
Hello Ladies;

I am still nursing my 16 month old DD and have been having some pregnancy symptoms. I have still had no signs of AF anywhere since getting pregnant with my DD. I had my tubes tied immediately following the birth of my DD on July 23rd, 2010. I have been feeling fluttering in my tummy ( I am a mommy of two and know what that feels like when baby moves in there), have been feeling nauseous regularly, have been getting heartburn every day(which I usually only experience during pregnancy) and when I was doing my superman abdominal work the other day I felt a hardness in my tummy. My tummy also has this feeling of hardness around my ribcage area, but not in my lower tummy area (it is soft there). We have not used any type of protection because I was under the impression that you cannot get pregnant again after getting your tubes tied so there was no sense in being careful. I go to get tested tomorrow but was wondering if anyone could give me some advice or answers from their own experiences or knowledge? Anything would help at this point.

StarryGrrl responded:
It is possible to become pregnant after getting your tubes tied, but it is very uncommon and highly unlikely. I know exactly what you are talking about with the fluttering; I feel it too at times and I know that I'm not pregnant. I even did an internet search about it once and found out that it is pretty common for women who have been pregnant before to feel "phantom kicks" or "flutters". I don't know why we feel them when we aren't pregnant, but we do.
My only advice would be to take a home pregnancy test as soon as you can, so you can know for sure. I find it a little bit odd that you haven't started your period back up after 16 months, so even if you are not pregnant, it would be a good idea to be seen by your obgyn for your other symptoms.

mathgypsy2 responded:
Its really unlikely to get pregnant after having your tubes tied, it does happen "sometimes". I am married to one of those "sometimes", but it's less common today than 30 years ago. I didn't have a period for 18 months with my first. She nursed a lot, and I have PCOS, and my doc said that's why it took so long.

Spotlight: Member Stories

First time mom just trying to figure it all out.. Have a beautiful son Sean born 5~3~2012

Helpful Tips

Looking for Tips on how to get around?
Be sure to check out the Community News Blog and the WebMD Welcome Exchange More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 20 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.