Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Antibitotics and breast feeding,
halfmilebrave posted:
Hi, my name is Diana and am due to have my little boy any day now. I do plan on breastfeeding.

However, I am on an antibiotic called cephalexin and wasn't sure if I can breastfeed him once he is born if I happen to be still taking it.
I was told that it is safe during pregancy, but that a small amount does go through the milk while breastfeeding.

Really upset that I even have to take antibiotics right before I deliver.

Thanks for the help.

mathgypsy2 responded:
You need to talk to your doc or a lactation consultant because there maybe something about you or your baby that is different. Drugs.com said "Cephalexin is acceptable to use during breastfeeding." Thrush is common when your on any antibiotic its not usually serious. I had to take lots in the first few weeks after I had my baby and now we are both doing great. Good luck on the new lo.

Anon_395 responded:
I looked that antibiotic up on safefetus.com and it said this:

• Excreted into milk in small amounts.
  • No problems have been documented in humans.
  • Cephalosporins as a group are considered safe in lactation.
If you have concerns though, it is a good idea to contact the doc or lactation consultant as mathgypsy2 suggested.

Congratulations on your baby!

ButterflyBaby1107 responded:
Try to get some good probiotics or eat lots of natural yogurt that has the good probiotics. Antibiotics can wreak havoc on your digestive and immune system. I have found that probiotics really help restore the balance in my body.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Michaele. I am married and have three awesome kids. Evan is 7, Savannah is 4, and baby Adeline (Addy) is 3 months. I am new to the forums b...More

Helpful Tips

New Breastfeeding Pad - EpiBi Nursing Pads
Hello all, My aunt has developed a new innovative nursing pad that is currently available, and I just wanted to share it with you. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 18 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.