Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Pressure from ppl to quit breast feeding?
cyavca05 posted:
Just wonder if any of you get this. My boy turned 1 today, my goal was to breasfeed him for 1 year, well here we are, we did it. As of last week I was still pumping at work, I was planning to slowly quit. Let me mention that it doesn't bother me at all to breasfeed him but here lately I get comments like "when are you going to quit breast feeding thAt baby, he is almost one", or ppl would tell me Are you still breasfeeding your baby, wow! It bothers me that ppl is more interested on me quitting breasfeeding than myself, what if i wanted two do it for another 6 months?..should I feel bad for wanting to Breastfed my baby for this long?? Last I knew breasfeeding was to be encouraged not discouraged...sorry I had to vent. For the girls that are out there trying to Breastfeed for awhile, it can be done and is an awesome experience, still think Is really good for your baby! Good luck to all of you!

mathgypsy2 responded:
I got this sooo much with my older daughter. I nursed her until she was 20 months old. She wouldn't drink milk until she was 15 months, it really bugged me when ppl would say why are you nursing her she can drink milk. I glad I nursed her as long as I did, I plan on nursing my lo until she self weans. It still amazes me that everybody thinks my baby is their business.

lucy4219 responded:
breastfed dd #1 for 16 months. dd #2 is eight months and still nursing strong. we are hoping to nurse at least 2 years. 2 years or more is actually the world health organization recommendation. so there is absolutly no reason to feel bad. breastfeedinf is great for baby and for toddlers. as for people who are critical, try to just ignore them. it's your baby not theirs. just tell them that.

proudofmybabies replied to lucy4219's response:
I too get pressured and criticized. Sometimes they make jokes like my baby will still breastmilk until she's 10 if I don't wean her now because she is 26 m/o.

It is your baby. Not theirs. It is your choice! Breastmilk is great for our babies. I am planning to wean my baby till she's 3 or 3 1/2. Right now, continue breastfeeding your precious one. People love to judge. Just say hey my choice okay.

peanut_1991 responded:
My baby is almost 3 weeks old. Breast feeding is the most amazing thing I have ever done. I love that I can feed my child everything that he needs from my body. I am planning on breastfeeding for at least a year. That is my goal. I have to go babk to work and I bought a really great breast pump. So far its going great though!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 36 y/o and I am truly blessed to have 2 beautiful and brilliant girls. My eldest is turning 9 this March and my youngest is 26 m/o. I am a proud ...More

Helpful Tips

Looking for Tips on how to get around?
Be sure to check out the Community News Blog and the WebMD Welcome Exchange More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 20 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.