Skip to content
overnight fussiness
srein posted:
my daughter is 1 month old. She has been pretty good at nursing. She does not sleep well at night. She is noisy and squirmy. The last 2 nights especially she will make noises including grunting and then I pick her up and she moves a ton. During the day though, she's peaceful when she sleeps, no noises and pretty still. Any thoughts why she does this at night? Something in my diet like milk? she does have several alert times during the day, so its not that she sleeps all day... thanks!

palvarad responded:
It's just a newborn finding her way. My first son was like that too, he'd sleep during the day and at night, oofa! He would cry and fuss and squirm. I don't believe it's your breastmilk, it's just her sleep schedule. In time and with work she will work her sleeping out. She's so little right now and sleeps as much because she needs it. Is her poo abnormal? Is she crying or is her behavior really concerning? If not, it's my opinion (which,please take with a grain of salt) that you don't fret mama, this is normal! But as always, if you're really concerned talk to your pedi on your next visit.

lucy4219 responded:
agree with pp. if there aren't any other issues then it's probably just her being a newborn. don't worry about it too much. and just try to remember that it will get better as she gets older.

ButterflyBaby1107 responded:
There is something about that one month mark--that is when my daughter started being fussy later in the evenings. Some babies just get a fussy time of day. Don't worry, she will grow out of it. My baby is now 3 months old and no longer has that fussy time like she did in that second month. Good luck.

ktaylor11 responded:
My son is 7 weeks old today and we are experiencing the same thing. I call it "fighting sleep" because he looks as if he is trying to go to sleep but he want...instead he just squirms and wines. If I stand up with him and walk around he is usually quit which made me think that nothing was wrong. I am glad to know that I am not the only one experiencing it.

Spotlight: Member Stories

The story I need to tell is the one about fighting infertility, through the two miscarriages and finally the light at the end of a long, dark tunnel-t...More

Helpful Tips

Want to read "discussions" only?
Well that's easy too, on the left hand side you see many links one of them is "discussions", click on it and you'll only see the ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.