Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Baby Choking while nursing
ChantelLW81 posted:
I'm a new mom and am breastfeeding my newborn. My baby tends to choke when she feeds off my right breast. Has anyone had this problem? If so, what did you do to fix it? I've been feeding her on my left breast for now because I am scared to give her my right one.

Brubee responded:
Hello My guess is that your right breast has a forcefull letdown. Does it happen soon after getting her latched on? If so maybe try to manually (by hand or pump) get the letdown to happen before latching baby on. It may be a little messy... The more you nurse her on that side the better chance she and your breast will work out at letdown that is better. Try giving a lactation consultant a call and they can give you more advice. Good luck and keep up the good work!

kell0613 responded:
I agree, it is probably just a forceful let down. Your baby will be fine to eat off both breasts. Only using one will decrease your supply in the other! My daughter would choke a little at the beginning of her feeds (and sometimes even unlatch and let the milk spray her in the face!!) when the letdown was too strong. She eventually learned how to handle it, and is just fine now. Something that can help a little is to lean back at the beginning of the feedings, so gravity works with you. The milk won't come out quite so forcefully if it has to go UP first. If you're really worried, talk to a lactation consultant at your hospital and have them watch you feed her off the side that causes her to choke to be sure. But it really just sounds like the let down is filling her little mouth too fast.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a 20 year old mother of two. My daughter is 3 my son is 8 weeks.I love my children and would do anything for them.

Helpful Tips

Looking for Tips on how to get around?
Be sure to check out the Community News Blog and the WebMD Welcome Exchange More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 20 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.