Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Breastfeeding & Periods
An_244412 posted:
Ok with my first child i breatfed and i never had a problem with my period!
This time around i had a few diffrences... i had a vag birth with my first no trama and breast fed for a yr or so.... had my period everymonth like regular
With this child i had a c section and lots of trama and had my tubes tied ( tubal lidigation) and here we are 4 moths later and i have not had one, i am also breast feeding this child.... is this normal?

kell0613 responded:
I think it is different for everyone. My first is 6mos old and I had a vag birth, and am exclusively breastfeeding and still haven't had a period yet. They usually say that breastfeeding (tends) to delay the return of your period in (most) mothers. But that isn't a 100% guarantee. Some women are just different. I'm guessing your tubal also might have something to do with the delay. I'd tend to think 4mos post partum is totally normal for your period to still be missing. I wouldnt' worry unless you're having other symptoms that are causing your concern.

peanut_1991 responded:
My son will be 4 months old tomorrow and I had a c-section. He is exclusively breastfed, I have yet to have a period or have any signs that one is coming soon. My husband and I are only using spermicidal condoms because of the breastfeeding. I take pregnancy tests all the time to make sure I'm not growing Dylan a little sibling already! lol It is weird to not have a period for over a year... But I defiantly enjoy it!

Brubee replied to peanut_1991's response:
It is awesome isnt it! With my daughter I breastfed her for 15 months and got my period around the 10 th month. With my son hes only 10 weeks so hopefully it will stay away for a long while yet!

SophiesMa replied to Brubee's response:
I just had my 3rd child and with each one I breastfed exclusivley and yet each time is different? With our middle daughter I didn't get my period till she was about 12 mths and now our son just turned 4 mths and I just got one. A little strange....I couldn't even get pregnant till our middle child was 19mths old and I fully weened her; I am hoping this time will follow suite....don't really want to pregnant again in the next year. Good luck to you!

Spotlight: Member Stories

What to do if you know of a mother that forces an 15 month old to breastfeed? She has him call them boobies and she laughs. He is expected to pull he...More

Helpful Tips

Want to read "discussions" only?
Well that's easy too, on the left hand side you see many links one of them is "discussions", click on it and you'll only see the ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.