Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Unlatching
KBratt posted:
I have a 6wk old that was doing great at first, here lately he only latches for 5-7mins then unlatches & will not re-latch!! I have to switch him sides, then after that 5-7mins SOMETIMES he will return back to latch on the other side, sometimes he won't...He is gaining weight, but he wants to eat every hour and a half to two hours which is just a lot for me to handle. I feel like all I do is feed him! I am assuming it's because he is only getting the "fore" milk, not staying long enough for the "hind" milk so he's not staying full. Any suggestions/advice/input??

Also, when do you or should I pump? I have tried doing right after feeding but don't get anything!

Thanks for the help!

kell0613 responded:
It actually sounds like he may just be a fast eater! 5-7 minutes may seem a little short, but he is the most efficient pump you can imagine! If he started out as a good eater, he probably has just learned how to do it quickly. Especially if he is doing 5-7 on both sides sometimes, I'm sure he is getting plenty foremilk and hindmilk. Regardless of how much/long he eats, at this stage, his tummy is really tiny. Breastmilk is digested MUCH faster than formula, so feeding him every 1.5-2 hours sounds about right. My DD is 7 months now, and those first 8-12 weeks she ate about every 1.5-2 hours. Sometimes she'd give me a break and go 3 hours, but that was rare. As long as he is gaining weight, he is getting plenty.

Yes, at this stage it does feel like all you do is BF. Stick with it. It will get much easier, I promise. There were a lot of days when I felt like I lived on the couch with the boppy around my waist. If you can make it thru this tough time, I promise it WILL get easier. Soon, he will begin to go longer in between meals, and you'll feel like you have a little more freedom. Again, I really do think it sounds like your little guy is getting plenty, and feeding him longer probably won't make him stay any fuller.

Pumping: The best option at this stage is to pump right after a feeding. Especially, if he only nurses one side, pump the other side. At 6 weeks, your body is still learning how much milk to make, and is slowly increasing the supply as your guy grows. Pumping will accelerate your supply increase. At the stage you're at, I'd be surprised if were able to pump 1 oz total after nursing (as in, that would be a lot to get) I remember getting less than 1/2 oz per side when I pumped. As young as your son is, you're still measuring food in MLs, not OZ. Make sure you aren't giving up on the pumping too soon. You should pump at least 10 minutes (but no more than 20). Even if you don't see milk coming out, keep pumping. This will stimulate more production.

I could go on and on about pumping. Let me know if you have more specific questions. (I returned to work full time when my DD was 9 weeks old, and have been pumping since day 1 in the hospital. I BF her anytime I'm with her and she has breastmilk in a bottle while I'm away. I haven't had to supplement with any formula yet, so we're happy about that!)

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm a Forensic Drug Chemist, back to working (and pumping!) full time. Married to my high school sweetheart, Chris since 1998. We've been toge...More

Helpful Tips

Looking for Tips on how to get around?
Be sure to check out the Community News Blog and the WebMD Welcome Exchange More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 20 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.