Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
is it possible???
DAThornsMommy posted:
im a FTM and my little boy is 5 days old today. i really really want to breast feed him, but sometimes doesnt seem quite satisfied after a feeding and doesnt always accept my breast when i offer it to him... when i took him for his first check up at 3 days, the doctor said that he lost a few ounces because i was not feeding him ... a couple days ago, i could not get him to eat for hours... almost 7 and he's such a tiny baby (born 5lbs 12 oz) he definitely needs all the nutrients he could get... so i was faced with a choice... either let him go without, or break into some of the formula i got from the hospital... so i got out the formula... he downed the full 2 oz in a couple minutes and seemed content... my mother told me that maybe my milk cant provide the nutrition he needs... how possible is this? and is there anything i can do? or do i need to switch him over to formula entirely??

hgreenwood7058 responded:
your milk may have not fully come in. I had problems with my son latching and so i had to use a breast shield. when I did that he started feeding a lot better. you may try that for a couple times (its safe to use longer but don't make it too much of a crutch). Remember it can take 3-5 days pp for your milk to come in and then its little bits at a time. You may have to try one breast and then the other as well. I would not try and switch him to the formula unless thats what you want. I was told that its a learning process for both you and your baby and can take a few weeks to get it down. don't give up if you really want to feed him breast milk. You could also try pumping a little bit first and then feeding him as well.

Helpful Tips

New Breastfeeding Pad - EpiBi Nursing Pads
Hello all, My aunt has developed a new innovative nursing pad that is currently available, and I just wanted to share it with you. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.