Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Over Active Let Down/Extreme Flow?
dermgirl posted:
Just curious to see if anyone else is experiencing this.

Over the last week, my now 3 week old has had difficulty keeping up while nursing.

She is latching and unlatching several times over and over and it can be very aggravating..... to the point of my wanting to give up but I have been pushing through. I've tried nipple shields, but she doesn't seem to like it. I've laid back completely flat and she still seems to latch and unlatch.

I would like to know what you have done to help with this issue. I want to keep breastfeeding in a more relaxed way... It has been tough at the 1am, 3am, and 5am feedings.

Thanks for any input!

cjl0510 responded:
Hi!
I also have an extremely overactive letdown. It's hard.. but one thing I do, is let him latch on to get it going - then unlatch him until I stop 'spraying' ( I spray into a washcloth or nursing pad) - then I latch him back on and it seems to work great. Hope that helps!

sumis replied to cjl0510's response:
I had the same issue with my ds too.then I change him first and make sure he is fully awake and then he latches pretty well and after the first 5 mins when the hind milk comes down he sucks and gulps perfectly.

mam546 responded:
I also have that problem. My DS is now 10 weeks old. He had some trouble with staying on when the first let down came. Sometimes he would look like he choked a bit on it or would chug it down.

I find that reclining a lot helps and having him lay on top of me or if he sits more on my leg ( so more upright )and we are not tummy to tummy. kind of like when you craddle your baby and then just drop down his butt a little.

She will get better as she gets older. Now my DS barely fusses.

Best of Luck!!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a first time mom to my beautiful son born 12/13/10. I am exclusively breastfeeding and back to work full time.

Helpful Tips

Looking for Tips on how to get around?
Be sure to check out the Community News Blog and the WebMD Welcome Exchange More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 20 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.