Skip to content
Pumping 5-7 oz at work, how can i pump more when LO's needs increase??>
nadieva1980 posted:
Hi ladies, I just had a question. As a first time mother I decided to breastfeed exclusively and recently returned to work after a 3month leave. I've saved up some milk while was on leave and have some supply in the freezer, however, I am also trying to have plenty to pump while at work and so far have managed to pump every 3:30-4 hours. I usually get about 3-4oz per breast at each session, but I am seeing posts where the baby will start drinking at 8-9 ounces...When does that happen? My baby is 3m12 days right now and he drinks 3-4 ounces per session, every 3:30-4 hrs...
I breasfeed him during the weekends and now I'm concerned about the milk supply when he starts feeding more...Will I be able to pump enough milk for his demand? I mean it's so hard to get the amount of milk I have now, what happens when he doubles/triples his consumption?? Please respond w/ your experience and advice.

P.S. sometimes I manage to pump one breast at night when the baby feeds from one and falls asleep, and freeze the milk. Also I use a Medela hand (manual) single breast pump and it takes me 20-25min per session...Am I not getting enough milk per session? I tried using Avent Phillips double electric pump, but the control one worked and the second one didn't get any milk out so i got frustrated & returned it....
Thank you so much

mam546 responded:
As your baby grows he will eat more and your supply will go up. Even if you are at work. When I pumped for my first it just kept getting more increased slowly. By the end of the year I had to get larger bottles for the pump sometimes.

If you want to gradually increase thry to pump extra at night and first thing in the morning. The more you pump and he nurses the more you will produce. Its all about supply and demand.

Also when they get bigger they will drink more but less often and they will start on solids as well.

Hope that makes you more at ease. I would really reccomend investing in a double electric pump. I can get a 3-4 oz bottle per side in 10-15 minutes. Medela makes really good ones. The best one is the freestyle but the Pump in Style advances works well too. It is pricy but lasts for a long time.

sumis responded:
don't worry as your baby grows the supply will increase to meet his demand.

the manual pumps are not good for everyday pumping and also they don't empty your milk completely.If Medela pumps are expensive try ameda ones .They cost less than medella but work just fine

Drink plenty of fluids before you pump and in the evening as well after you nurse him try to pump

nadieva1980 replied to mam546's response:
Thank you for your reply. I checked the Freestyle and am more confused..I noticed that you get 3-4oz with electric one, I get about 3-3.5oz from each breast when I pump at work and it takes me a total of 20min per session (I use a single hand Medela pump). Do you think that I might get more if I use a motorized pump? I am so indecisive right now if I should buy an expensive pump if it will do the same thing I get from the manual. the pros of hand pump is that it is easier to use and no set up is needed, and washing it is quick...Whereas with electric one I have to carry all this stuff around and make sure it's charged or plugged in... thank you in advance for your response.

mam546 replied to nadieva1980's response:
If it only takes you 20 minutes total you should be fine with the hand pump - You might get more with the electric one. There are a few brands out for double electric that are much less expencive but I'm not sure how well they work. All the othet moms I know use the medela brand.

As long as you feel like you are getting everything out that should help. I help it out by massaging and lightly squeezing and that might make it come faster for you as well.

The electric is easy as well - The freestyle you can plug in or use battery and it lasts for a long time. The cleaning is probobly very similar.

Honestly you are getting a good amount the way you are doing it right now. If you need to increase at any time just pump for longer on each side. That will stimulate more to be produced. And/Or pump more often. As long as you are making enough for your LO you do not need to get any other pump.

Best of luck!

MorningGlory11 responded:
Don't sweat it. Every baby is different. My daughter was only drinking 3 ounces at a time every 3 hours till she turned 5 months. now she drinks 4-6 ounces and she's 7m7d. Now my friend whose son is 11 days older than my daughter was drinking 6-8 ounces every two - three hours. She pumps now and gets NO JOKE two 10 ounce bottles each session.
Either way. don't sweat it.

liamandtamzinsmom responded:
I would definitely recommend a medela electric pump. I have the freestyle & the Pump in Style. Not sure if you have insurance, but if you have Blue Cross Blue Shield, it is covered 100%. That is how I got my freestyle. Good luck!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I married my best friend in May of 2008, although we lived across the street from each other since the 6th grade, we never talked till after high scho...More

Helpful Tips

New Breastfeeding Pad - EpiBi Nursing Pads
Hello all, My aunt has developed a new innovative nursing pad that is currently available, and I just wanted to share it with you. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.