Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Hand pump or motorized one? please help me decide!!!!!!!!!!!
nadieva1980 posted:
Hi everyone,
i posted in a recent discussion and got the advice to invest in a Medela Freestyle pump (thank you ladies). However, i tried a Phillips Avent motorized and compared to the Medela hand pump it was not good at all (didn't get as much milk out, control pump was ok, but second one wasn't sucking as much). Now I'm back at work and using a single Medela hand pump. I get about 100-110ml per breast (3-3.5oz) and spend 20min in total, plus it's easy to wash it and I dont' have to carry anything extra or worry about batteries or power outlets....
My baby is 3.5months right now and I want to breastfeed exclusively as long as possible. Could you tell me your experience. I don't know if I should buy an expensive motorized pump and if it will really help me get more milk out per session. Am I missing out? What if I buy an expensive one and get the same amount of milk as I get now?
Thank you for replying

hgreenwood7058 responded:
I did my research and I originally tried the first years one. It sucked. I ended up leaving the hospital with a rental for a hospital grade double electric pump (probably 5x the amount of suction compared to the first years one on high). I started looking for pumps recently because my prescription expired. I decided Madela was the best fit for me. I have heard great things about the Madela Free Style as well as the madela in style i think its called. I actually found a hospital grade double electric pump (madela lactina) on amazon.com from a med supply place and got that since I knew it worked well. It was $375 with free shipping. Its worth the expense to me because Carson will be 4 months old on tuesday and I plan to pump till atleast 1 years old to 15 months or so and then we plan to have 1 more child when carson is around 2-3. And plan to pump that long with the next baby too. So renting with prescription was $18 with insurance and it would have been double to triple that. Multiply it out by how long you plan to pump and your spending more for the rental than buying it outright and atleast this way you get to keep it. I couldnt get hardly anything when I hand pumped but with using this pump I get 4-5 oz from the left side and 5-6oz from the right side every 4 hours. It takes me 15-20 minutes total for both sides since they are done at the same time.

nadieva1980 replied to hgreenwood7058's response:
Hi Hgreenwood, thank you for your reply. I've never heard about insurance prescription, how do you get that? I would like to try renting a hospital grade pump to see if I pump more with an electric one, but the cost is very high here in San Diego. If I had insurance help out with the cost I would try it for a month or two, then I can consider buying a Medela one. My baby just turned 4 months today and I want to express milk at least until he is a year old...Thank you for any advice.

hgreenwood7058 replied to nadieva1980's response:
It was when I was still in the hospital. The pediatrics doctor looking after him while his primary doctor was out gave us a prescription. Some insurances will pay for it up to 3 months. It would be worth talking to the pediatrician or OB to see if they would do it. The diagnoses they used was latching difficulty and something else can't remember. Also as for pumps they will cost you more if you go to the store. If you buy online you can more often save a little money. When was your son born? Out of curiousity. It sounds like our kiddos are either on the same day or within a day of each other.

nadieva1980 replied to hgreenwood7058's response:
Hi, my LO was born on March 30, 2012. Unfortunately, my insurance doesn't pay for pumps, even if i have a prescription Right now I'm a little worried, I'm pumping 3 times per day and my left side has about 100ml and the right now has reduced to 60
I'm currently taking Fenugreek and drinking the Mother's milk, but i didn't notice a change in the amount of milk produced. At this point I'm just hoping that my supply doesn't decrease, because I'm rotating the stash I have in the freezer and I'm making enough to keep the same amount, hopefully I don't lose electricity and spoil my precious storage of frozen milk...
It's too expensive to buy an electric one and I am afraid to buy one used (contamination fears)...I guess I'm just praying and pumping for now....

hgreenwood7058 replied to nadieva1980's response:
My son was born 3/31/12. You could consider saving up and buying a used Madela electric pump. I say medela specifically because you can replace any parts that would touch anyone else (tubing, shields, bottles, etc...). But I hope that the hand pump works for you in the mean time. I have also read oatmeal can help with milk production. If it continues to be going down(i have days where I am able to pump more than others). You can potentially get a prescription to help with milk production. Also pump as often as you can. Oh and drink lots of fluids as well. If you are dehydrated I was reading on one of the baby sites that your milk supply can decrease as a result. Best wishes.

lobermann replied to hgreenwood7058's response:
hgreenwood, are you taking anything to get that much each time you pump? My son is 5 months and I am lucky to get 5 ozs each time I pump every 3-4 hours.

hgreenwood7058 replied to lobermann's response:
sorry didn't see the post. No I am not taking anything. I pump every 3-4 hours as well but I use the double pump so I get the 5-6oz from each side during that time.

sumis replied to hgreenwood7058's response:
YOu can try to buy ameda pumps they are relativeky cheaper compared to medela and works well .I use it .with coupon I got the ameda purely yours for 149$ in toysrus .You can also get a used ameda pump because the milk doesnot get into the tubing or motor and so the used ones might costs same as the manual one .

Try to eat lot of garlic in your diet that helps with milk production too

LactationDepot replied to sumis's response:
here is a great article about how to choose the right breast pump: http://lactationdepot.com/breast-pumps/manual-breast-pump-vs-electric-breast-pump/ check it out

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a first time mom to my beautiful son born 12/13/10. I am exclusively breastfeeding and back to work full time.

Helpful Tips

Looking for Tips on how to get around?
Be sure to check out the Community News Blog and the WebMD Welcome Exchange More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 20 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.