Skip to content
HOW MUCK MILK SHOULD I BE GETTING WHEN I PUMP???
danie posted:
I AM A NEW MOM AND I AM BREASTFEEDING MY 5 WEEK OLD SON. I AM ALSO NOW PUMPING...

WHEN I PUMP I DONT KNOW IF I AM GETTING A NORMAL AMMOUNT OF MILK OUT.

COULD ANYONE OFFER ME ANY IDEA OF WHAT IS A NORMAL AMMOUNT OF MILK THAT CAN BE PUMPED IN A DAY?

HOW LONG SHOULD I BE PUMPING FOR?
THANKS FOR ANY HELP WITH THIS...

sumis responded:
always babies are better than the pump .at 5 weeks your baby can drink most anywhere between 1 to 2 0z
Milk varies different times of the day .

in the mornings iots more and as the day goes on the muilk tends to be thicker and has more fat content

hgreenwood7058 responded:
It really all depends. When I started pumping about the same time you are, I pumped every 2 hours for 15-30 minutes or until no more milk would come out. I use a double pump as well. If you don't have a double pump, you should pump each side. This will give your body a cue to make more milk. The more you pump or nurse the more your body will start to make. I think I would get about 2ounces a side sometimes a little less each time and then as my son got older I made more. My son is now 6 months old and I pump every 4 hours now and get 5-7 ounces per side. Everyone is a little different.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Michaele. I am married and have three awesome kids. Evan is 7, Savannah is 4, and baby Adeline (Addy) is 3 months. I am new to the forums b...More

Helpful Tips

Want to read "discussions" only?
Well that's easy too, on the left hand side you see many links one of them is "discussions", click on it and you'll only see the ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.