Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
UP ALLNIGHT...BREAST MILK -VS- FORMULA
danie posted:
MY 5 WEEK OLD IS HAVING TROUBLE SLEEPING AT NIGHT AND I FOUND OUT HE HAS A LITTLE COLIC. I AM GIVING HIM GRIPE WATER FOR THE COLIC LIKE MY DOCTOR SUGGESTED BUT HE IS STILL VERY FUSSY AND CRYING IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT (1AM-6AM) NO MATTER WHAT I DO.
I AM BREAST FEEDING AND I HAVE BEEN TOLD TO SWITCH TO FORMULA TO HELP HIM SLEEP...BECAUSE THE FORMULA MAY BE HEAVIER THAN MY BREAST MILK.
DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE WITH THIS? I COULD REALLY USE SOME ADVICE...

sumis responded:
Try to Watch your diet in addition .Try not tos tay too hungry and avoid gassy foods .Colic will get better .Nursing calms the baby more than the formula especially in the nights.

hgreenwood7058 responded:
I agree with the pp. Breastmilk is more calming. Colic isn't due to hunger. There are also colic tabs you could try if the gripe water doesn't help or you could do both since they are both natural. It may be a little bit of a rough road with the colic but it does get better as they get a little older. Also watching diet. If you have a lot of dairy, lessen it or completely get rid of it for a little bit and see. Some babies are very sensitive to dairy when they are younger. Same with spicy things and things that would make you gassy. Formula does weigh more than breastmilk because there is a lot of additives in it. Also by switching to formula baby is going to more than likely become consipated which may make him cranky as well. One thing you could potentially try to is giving him a bath at night with the aveeno calming bath soap and then lotion his skin with the aveeno calming lotion. I do this right before bed time and then I lay down next to my son and give him his bink and blankie bear and we lay there till he falls asleep. When he was 5 weeks old he woke up every 2 hours sometimes less to feed as well. Also some moms who do have to supplement, they will breast feed and then make a bottle of formula and feed them a little of that as well if you really need to. Also a lot of babies do have sensitivities to the formula due to it being cow milk based so watch for that if you switch as well.Hang in there momma.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a first time mom to my beautiful son born 12/13/10. I am exclusively breastfeeding and back to work full time.

Helpful Tips

Want to read "discussions" only?
Well that's easy too, on the left hand side you see many links one of them is "discussions", click on it and you'll only see the ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.