Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
confused and concerned
An_249573 posted:
My baby's 5 weeks old and eats 6 ounces at a time, is this normal? It seems like so much. I'm so frustrated with breastfeeding because I'm only pumping 5 ounces, and my baby eats 6... Shouldn't I produce the amount my baby eats? If I pump 5 ounces, I then add an ounce of formula to make 6, he eats it all and seems content. If I feed him any less, he flips out and acts like he's starving and wants to eat another full size meal in an hour. What do I do? Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

lanyac responded:
There is no "normal" amount for a baby to eat, if he's eating 6 ounces and not spitting any up afterwards, then wants that much again, it's perfectly fine and you shouldn't worry. As far as the pumping part, I wasn't producing enough either right in that time frame, so I started pumping every 2 hrs and if it was time to feed I would let my daughter feed then pump right after, I am mostly producing enough now, she just tends to want more in the early evening so what I do pump I give her in a bottle every evening. Just be patient and drink plenty of water throughout the day, I found if I don't drink enough water my production slows down...good luck!

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Christy, and I am 24 years old. I have a wonderful handsome husband who is 28 - and two darling little boys!! My first son is 2 years old, ...More

Helpful Tips

New Breastfeeding Pad - EpiBi Nursing Pads
Hello all, My aunt has developed a new innovative nursing pad that is currently available, and I just wanted to share it with you. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.