Skip to content
Nipple Soreness PLEASE HELP
jessieflynn posted:
My daughter is going to be 6 weeks old on Friday, she is my second child, but my son is 7 yrs old. So everything seems to be for the first time all over again.

I've been having trouble with Elleigh latching completely on my breast. She seems to "nipple-feed" as I heard this term used by a lactation consultant I contacted. But as she's growing, a lot bigger than my son was at this age, as she is probably close to 10.5 lbs already, there's a lot of increased weight on my nipple and her suction is a lot stronger than when she was first born.

With this all said, how can I try to correct my daughter's latch this far into her nursing pattern. I'm in a lot of discomfort, and pain when she nurses improperly , shes even making sucking sounds and popping sounds with her mouth due to the incorrect latch. I've tried all different positions, tickling her nose with my nipple to wait for her to open nice and wide and lean into her, yet she always seems content on the nipple.... PLEASE SEND SUGGESTIONS OR COMMENTS

hgreenwood7058 responded:
If you can get to a lactation consultant it would be very helpful. They are free to go to around where I live. They can help you with some tricks. When you unlatch her use the finger technique to help from making it any more sore than it already is. As far as pain, try nipple butter instead of the lansinoh. It goes on a lot easier and helped me more. Good luck!

jessieflynn replied to hgreenwood7058's response:
Thank you for your help I will try your suggestions...

LactationDepot replied to jessieflynn's response:
here is a great article about how to relief from sore nipples. try out their advise - it really works!
http://lactationdepot.com/breast-skin-care-products/relief-from-sore-nipples-twenty-useful-techniques

Spotlight: Member Stories

What to do if you know of a mother that forces an 15 month old to breastfeed? She has him call them boobies and she laughs. He is expected to pull he...More

Helpful Tips

Looking for Tips on how to get around?
Be sure to check out the Community News Blog and the WebMD Welcome Exchange More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 20 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.