Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Painful breasts while stopping breastfeeding
mygirlvalgal posted:
About 2 weeks ago I stopped pumping milk for my daughter. Before I quit, I began to slowing reducing my number of sessions. From 4 a day, then 3 a day for a week, then 2 a day for a few days, and finally once a day for a couple days. I didn't feel any pain the first week, but a few days ago I noticed what feels like knots in my breast and they are very sore in those spots. Some articles say maybe I should pump to see if that relieves the pain and some suggest this could turn to infection. I'm not sure what do to and if an infection has already set begun. Any advice?

scperdomo7 responded:
It sounds like you've got some clogged milk ducts, this can happen when the breasts aren't being emptied on a regular basis. An unfortunate side effect when attempting to stop the production of milk.

Pumping or nursing is the best way to allevite the clogged ducts, however that could have an undesirable effect as you are trying to dry up your supply.

Warm compresses and massaging the knot can help. But would work best while pumping to express the trapped milk.

If left untreated, you could develop an infection, known as mastitis - very painful, requires antibiotics and comes with flu like symptoms.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Michaele. I am married and have three awesome kids. Evan is 7, Savannah is 4, and baby Adeline (Addy) is 3 months. I am new to the forums b...More

Helpful Tips

Looking for Tips on how to get around?
Be sure to check out the Community News Blog and the WebMD Welcome Exchange More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 20 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.