Skip to content
Pumping problems
jessd08 posted:
my third child is 3 months old-we have had breastfeeding issues from day 1-he won't latch correctly and we have continually tried with no success so I have resorted to just pumping and giving it to him that way. I am now getting sore breasts very often-hard spots on most of the breast with the whole breast turning red and am sick with fever and nausea for 3 days or more. Has anyone else had any issues similar? I don't know what to do or what i'm doing wrong with the pumping-I breastfed my 2nd but she was a champ and only had to pump 1 maybe 2 times a day. I am pumping every 4 1/2-5 hours if not sooner than that every day so I just don't understand! Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!!

reb_hun responded:
would go see a lactation consultant if i were you... i would also pump sooner if at all possible, if you pump every 3 to 4 hours it should help. sounds like you have mastitis, you will need antibiotics, i would go see your doctor too.

trina19861 responded:
I had the same problem pumping exclusively its a plugged milk duct it hurts bad but you need to get it out it took me 2 days of soaking in hot water with salt, massaging, pump wasnt getting it out I finally had my husband suck it out. Also I would go to doctor to make sure its not infected.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a first time mom to my beautiful son born 12/13/10. I am exclusively breastfeeding and back to work full time.

Helpful Tips

Looking for Tips on how to get around?
Be sure to check out the Community News Blog and the WebMD Welcome Exchange More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 20 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.