Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Milk Supply
Srp32 posted:
I had my first child 2 months ago. I am attempting to breastfeed her. I have to supplement her with formula. This has been a up hill battle. I am now back to work and pump every 2 1/2 hours and only get about 1.5 oz each pumping. I am currently taking Fenugreek. I am able to provide somewhere between 12-14 oz of breast milk a day to my baby. She is know taking 4oz about every 3-4 hours. Is there any hope on increase my milk supply? If not should I keep supplementing until my milk supply goes away? Very confused on what to do.

amaris261 responded:
I hope you are proud of yourself for working so hard to provide your little one with breast milk, and not being too hard on yourself!!! I would recommend calling a lactation consultant if you haven't already; I know the hospital where I delivered gave me contact information for them with my discharge paperwork, but if you don't have that, you could go through your child's pediatrician or your ob/gyn. The preliminary questions I would ask are are you drinking plenty of fluids and not restricting your diet? Another tip would be to check out this blog and look specifically at pumping tips: http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/low-supply/. It is a great resource! Lastly, something I learned that was really helpful is that with breast milk, unlike with formula, , it isn't volume consumed that counts as much as total calories. So your 1.5 ozs per pump may be perfect. As long as the baby is gaining weight and your pediatrician isn't concerned, stick with it!!!!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm married mom of a handsome 4 year old boy named J.R. and a beautiful baby girl Kira, who was born 1/31/11. I'm BF'ing for the first tim...More

Helpful Tips

Looking for Tips on how to get around?
Be sure to check out the Community News Blog and the WebMD Welcome Exchange More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 20 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.