Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Feeding constantly
An_253437 posted:
My baby is 2 months old, and I feel like I'm having to breast feed her constantly. She is only taking little cat naps during the day and wants to eat every hour to hour and a half. That leaves me little time to pump and build up enough supply for a bottle so my husband can feed. She isn't sleeping at night for more than 2 hrs at a time. Is this normal at this age?

hgreenwood7058 responded:
totally normal. Carson only slept every 2 hours as well at that age and ate every 1-2 hours. Are you getting ready to go back to work is that why your trying to introduce the bottle to baby? Or just to include dad? Beware this can cause nipple confusion in the future and make it harder to bf. I had to start exclusively pumping for this reason. It is hard but it just takes time. And around that age they are constantly growing so they like to eat.

Briekelly03 replied to hgreenwood7058's response:
Hi thank you for the reply. I only give her one bottle a day and thats at night so her dad can feed her. Other than thay its all from the breast. I just read all these other blogs where people with children at 10 weeks are sleeping thru the night, or like for 5-6 hours at a time. Mine isnt doing that and making it exhausting.

hgreenwood7058 replied to Briekelly03's response:
Mine has never slept through the night. I think part of it is formula and part of it is genes. My son is 18 months now and is just now starting to sleep a lot better at night only waking once or twice. It wasn't till he was almost a year that he started sleeping 5-6 hours at a time. It is exhausting but it does get better. They are lucky that they had such good sleepers. For most providers they actually say when they are that young they shouldn't be sleeping that much (unless maybe when they are formula fed because theres a lot of gunk in there to make them fuller) because bf babies digest so much faster. So if they aren't waking up to eat then they may not be getting all that they need when they are so young. And they grow so much at that age too. Best wishes

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm married mom of a handsome 4 year old boy named J.R. and a beautiful baby girl Kira, who was born 1/31/11. I'm BF'ing for the first tim...More

Helpful Tips

Want to read "discussions" only?
Well that's easy too, on the left hand side you see many links one of them is "discussions", click on it and you'll only see the ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 18 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.