Find Information About:

Drugs & Supplements

Get information and reviews on prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and supplements. Search by name or medical condition.

Pill Identifier

Pill Identifier

Having trouble identifying your pills?

Enter the shape, color, or imprint of your prescription or OTC drug. Our pill identification tool will display pictures that you can compare to your pill.

Get Started

My Medicine

Save your medicine, check interactions, sign up for FDA alerts, create family profiles and more.

Get Started

WebMD Health Experts and Community

Talk to health experts and other people like you in WebMD's Communities. It's a safe forum where you can create or participate in support groups and discussions about health topics that interest you.

• Second Opinion

Second Opinion

Read expert perspectives on popular health topics.

• Community

Connect with people like you, and get expert guidance on living a healthy life.

Got a health question? Get answers provided by leading organizations, doctors, and experts.

Get Answers

All communities will be placed in read-only mode (you will be able to see and search for posts but not start or reply to discussions) as we conduct maintenance. We will make another announcement when posting is re-opened. Thank you for your continued support and patience, and if you have any further questions, please email

Yours in health,
WebMD Community Management

Gaining weight while breastfeeding
gabyannek posted:
I've been breastfeeding my son for almost 16 months and I don't see him weaning anytime soon. My problem is with weight gain!
1. I'm ravenously hungry 24/7 STILL
2. I've tried controlling my diet, exercising more etc, but I don't want to cut too many calories

I've gained 30 lbs easily, I weigh more now than I did the day I went in to have him and I was just shy of my pre-preg weight at my 6 week check up I'm so discouraged, this is the most I've ever weighed. Is there anything I can do (aside from weaning) to get my body back? Or is it just my body doing what it will do and when I wean I can focus on reshaping?
sweetmamaca55 responded:
I am getting the sense that your weight gain has little to do with breastfeeding. Your body will maintain an elevated appetite while breastfeeding only as needed to sustain the child's milk supply. If you lost all your pregnancy weight while bfing and then started to gain it back, it sounds like there may be a deeper emotional problem causing your excess hunger. Overeating and undereating both are root chakra issues, meaning they are different manifestations of feelings relating to insecurity, lack of belonging and not feeling safe. Think back to when the weight gain started- did something happen to threaten your safety or security? It could be money problems or financial stress, work conflict or even relationship struggles. The only connection to bfing I see is if your friends and family or SO/partner do not support your extended bfing.. that would make alot of people feel uncomfortable and insecure. I think it would help you to assess your appetite further. Next time you feel hungry, stop and ask yourself if your body is really seeking nutrients or if your heart and mind are seeking comfort and security. If it is the latter, try tothink about what is going on around you (or within you) that is making u feel unsafe. Even if you can't figure it out or pinpoint it the furst few times, keep up the practice of assessment and eventually it all will click. To avoid the need to eat excessively for emotional security, try the following mantra: I am here. I am safe. I belong and I am welcomed on this Earth.
sweetmamaca55 replied to sweetmamaca55's response:
another thing that may help is accepting your body exactly how it is and focusing more on your health than your appearance. You are beautiful just the way you are!! Hope this helps!
brendabunn responded:
I think breastfeeding helps in losing weight, but with you it must have been opposite. Don't worry about your fat figure as it is
normal of gaining weight after pregnancy. You can check for breastfeeding tops that makes you comfortable while nursing babies, when you go out.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm a 36 year old first time mom of Lauren. She was born 10/12/10. I am bf exclusively, but plan to pump from time to time so that I have back up ...More

Helpful Tips

Looking for Tips on how to get around?
Be sure to check out the Community News Blog and the WebMD Welcome Exchange More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 20 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.