Skip to content
should i breastfeed..will it hurt?
abigaillea1234 posted:
had a baby on the 5th on this month. and i told the nurses i wanted to try to breastfeed but the said to formula feed cause it will be a pain to stop later on& now i'm at home my breast are 3 times their size and leeking and very sore i kinda scared to feed them to her because she might not latch on but she motions towards them i dont now what to do help

amocoy312 responded:
That nurse that told you that is a moron... Breast feeding is a great way for you to bond not to mention it is better for the baby... It can sometimes be difficult to stop but not always and the benefits out weigh that...

hae545 responded:
First of all, congratulations! It is such a blessing to be a new mommy. My son was born 1-15-14. I think you are struggling with if nursing your little girl is the right thing to do. Your body is ideally suited to provide for all of the nutrition needs of your little one. Breastmilk also provides support for her immune system development and will help your postpartum transition, as well as your little girl's emotional development. Infants needs that closeness, and nursing is the best way to achieve it. If you are insanely engorged, I would suggest taking a long, warm shower when she is asleep. Express your excess milk by hand (it won't be hard, trust me... don't be shy, they're yours!). After soaping, rinse with cool or cold water. I use baby soap & lotion to care for my breasts and always apply Boob-Ease nipple cream out of the shower. Nursing bras are awesome and make life so much easier (they have them @ Walmart!) I also make sure to not use antiperspirant and choose a natural antiseptic deodorant instead b/c I have read that antiperspirants and interfere with healthy lactation.

Your baby wants to be close to you, and she will have many amazing natural instincts, as you will continue to discover & that's why she is motioning.

You need to trust your intuition & your "gut" regarding your newborn. You alone have a very special connection with her and you will know best how to care for her. Educate yourself as best as you can, and this will help you to feel more confident and comfortable with your own intuition. We as mothers aren't always right the first time, but with careful love, practice, and education we are equipped to provide the best care for our newborns.

As I have quickly learned from my own experience and from those of other mothers, do not automatically trust the word of your mother or of other mothers just because they raised you or they are older than you. They grew up in a different time, and medicine was not as advanced as it is today. We know so much more today than we did even 10 or 15 years ago. Childcare is an ever-advancing science. Advice and support from friends and family is crucial, but it is just that... you are still #1 in baby's eyes!

I nursed from one breast until it was dry, and then switched for the first few weeks of my infant's life. This ensured that my breasts did not get too engorged and reduced my supply. Pay attention to her cues and responses to see when she is satisfied after nursing. If she is ravenous all the time, your supply needs a boost. Mothers milk tea and pumping an hour before she wakes up are tried & true methods to up milk production. You can also try pumping 15 minutes after nursing, but this way can be painful. Once I knew my supply was not enough, I changed my nursing method to nursing on one side until baby slowed his pace or went asleep, and then switching. So... I changed my nursing method, drank mothers milk tea, and pumped an hour before he would wake up and this increased my supply & he is contented and happy with my current supply level. I now have stopped drinking mothers milk tea & just make sure that I eat well every day. I don't pump every day, and stick to the 10-15 minutes on a breast during most nursing sessions until he is satisfied.

Now I hope I have answered your specific question. Message me if you would like me to share more!

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Laramie, I'm 27 and live in Rochester, NY. I'm happily married to my wonderful husband and I'm a SAHM to our two children. Aust...More

Helpful Tips

Want to read "discussions" only?
Well that's easy too, on the left hand side you see many links one of them is "discussions", click on it and you'll only see the ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.