Cow milk / bovine protein allergy in exclusively breastfed infant
An_255788 posted:

I have a 2 years old daughter that was diagnosed with a bovine protein reaction (colitis, including multiple bloody stools, which led to low hemoglobin in her blood, dermatitis, and eczema, etc. ), while exclusively breastfed (0-4 month). I was on the restricted diet after first month, which still did not help the condition. Finally my daughter was transferred on a dehydrogenated formula up to age of 7 month. From age of 7 month to 1.5 years i was able to breastfeed her again and her reaction to bovine protein has disappeared.

I am pregnant, due in May. My question is: to avoid the same condition and being able to breastfeed my second child, should I be considering to be on bovine protein restricted diet prior giving birth? How much prior? Are there any other aliments to avoid? Can someone refer me to some literature, so I can read and understand better this condition? If the child does not have any reaction, when should I try including bovine protein into my diet?

I do understand that my second child can or can not have the same condition, but I want at all price avoid the situation in which I was with my first daughter and I want to be able to breastfeed the baby and not be transferred on a formula at least in the early age. I want to try to do as much as I can to succeed.

Thank you very much