Skip to content
Newborn forgetting how to latch?
brwilliford14 posted:
I'm having some stressful situations! My one month old seems to 'forget' how to latch properly after switching from one breast to the other. He will just sit there whining and then he breaks out into a full-on cry session. I don't understand what's happening and I'm literally to a point where I'm going to stop breastfeeding. This is a daily issue and I can't deal with it anymore. Please help...some advice or something before I lose ny mind! So stressed!

breastfeedingmom responded:
I don't know if we could be having the same issue, but when I give my child one side he always has a more difficult time. My breastfeeding consultant said they normally favor one side rather than the other and that could be why. She had me put him in the football position for the side he would not latch onto, and it helped a bit.

winkelmann248154 responded:
This happened with my little one as well. I have found that I have to physically put him on where he needs to be. Also, if you have larger breasts (like I do) it might just be they are too heavy for him. Lactation told me to hold my breast underneath until he gets latched and then slowing pull hand out. It has really helped mine.

Spotlight: Member Stories

First time mom just trying to figure it all out.. Have a beautiful son Sean born 5~3~2012

Helpful Tips

Looking for Tips on how to get around?
Be sure to check out the Community News Blog and the WebMD Welcome Exchange More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 20 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.