Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Cancer Realities: Outliving Your Prognosis
Passing on Genetic Cervical Cancer
Kev3413 posted:
I have a 7 month old daughter and another child on the way. My mother is one 8 kids, 5 of which are female. All of my Aunts including my Mom have had cervical cancer and subsequently full hysterectomies. Obviously, as a male I am not susceptible, but can I pass this gene on to my daughter/kids and should I be worried? Thanks in advance for the help.

Kevin

georgiagail responded:
There is no gene for cervical cancer.

The presence of the virus HPV is the most common cause for a female developing cervical cancer.

Gail

H20mom responded:
Good question. My mother had pre cancerous cells at 32 and decided to have a historectomy. I was dignosed with adenocarinoma in sitzu (non HPV) and had a historectomy 4 years ago at the age of 40. I wonder if I need to worry about my daughter as well? With my family history, I wonder about the genetic component. I will definately watch her. What scares me is my cancer was not caught by my yearly pap screenings.

Kev3413 replied to georgiagail's response:
Gail,

Thanks for the info. I had researched the HPV virus and thought it might be unlikely that they all had it, so I thought I would ask about the genetics of the disease. I believe 1 or 2 of my ants had uterine cancer as well. Not sure if they were connected or not. Thanks again!

alliegirl77 responded:
It is not always HPV. Please do not let websites misinform you of this as that always is the way they start and is now one of my pet peeves!

I do not have HPV but have a family history of cervical cancer. I am now 35 and had my first abnormal pap, subsequent colposcopy and was diagnosed at stage II mod dysplasia (pre cancerous cells present) with glandular involvement. My LEEP procedure is scheduled in a month and I should be fine. If it returns I will consider a hysterectomy at that time.

I don't think you should be worried Kevin but please do encourage your child when she is older on the importance of annual exams. Caught early this is something that can be managed and taken care of so your daughter can live a long, healthy life.

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.