Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Cancer Realities: Outliving Your Prognosis
Asbestos Concerns
An_188430 posted:
I have some concerns about asbestos in my home. A few days ago my uncle was removing paneling (a small piece) from my basement wall and of course the paneling was glued to the wall. I had just recently had some floor tiles abated from my basement, by a professional. They warned that given the ago of my home their could be more asbestos materials and give my research I know that some adhesives contained asbestos. I called the abatement company to double check their opinion about the paneling adhesive and they said that there was a possibility that it could be made from asbestos. Before I could tell my uncle not to scrape the glue from the wall because of my concern he had already done so. Now I fear that my home could have been exposed to these deadly fibers. I am not 100% certain that the adhesive did contain asbestos.

I suffer from anxiety and this whole experience and all of the worry has almost taken it's toll on me. I am tired of worrying and thinking about this. I kind find all kinds of articles on the internet about what asbestos is and what it does to you, but nothing talking about one time exposure or a guaranteed case of lung cancer. I want to know if a one time exposure is huge risk and if being in contact with the fibers even once means that I am at a huge risk for all of these cancers. I have gathered that people with long term exposure are the ones who are seeing the illnesses. Do the lungs ever recover from asbestos exposure? I just can't worry about this anymore. I would like some answers to put my mind at ease.

Any advice or words of wisdom/encouragement would be greatly appreciated! I know I am not the only person who had come into contact with these fibers in their home. Thank you for helping to put my anxious mind to ease!

georgiagail responded:
This POSSIBLE one time exposure regrding a small piece of paneling remval in your basement poses no health risks to you or your family. Stop worrying about this.

Gail

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi there and thanks for posting - I agree with Gail that you do not need to worry about this - however, I would suggest addressing your anxiety. It can dramatically impact your quality of life!

Here is a link to the WebMD Anxiety and Panic Community - it is a very informative, supportive group with an expert.

http://exchanges.webmd.com/anxiety-and-panic-disorders-exchange

Take a deep breath and check in with them!

Haylen

Helpful Tips

Cancer
Have your friend learn as much as possible about his or her illness, nutrition, etc. The American Cancer Society and their cancer center ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.