Skip to content

Announcements

Cancer Realities: Outliving Your Prognosis
Dry draw
bcampbell10000 posted:
I just had a bone marrow biopsy that has me worried. The first draw was dry. When my doctor found some it took 4 sticks to get enough to test with. Originally it was for confirming PV but he told them to check for melofibrosis also. I have had abnormal blood tests, night sweats, bad fatigue, easy bruising. Should I be concerned or does this happen a lot. I heard one nurse say she never would have suspected that to happen.

worn1 responded:
bcampbell
Dry taps are not normal. You do have reason to worry. Melofibrosis also known as myeloid metaplaisa is a condition where the bone marrow is replaced by scar tissue. Bone marrow produces the cellular elements of blood-- red blood cells, white blood cells and platelets. Platelets help you to stop bbleeding when you cut yourself--white blood cells fight off viral infections and bacterial infections and red blood cells deliver oxygen. When you talk to your doctor please make sure you understand what he is telling you. Do not hesitate to ask questions. ie what is my prognosis, explain to me in simple terms what it is--do not leave until you understand.--what treatments are available, how does the disease progress--fast or slow--over what period of time--what other symptons will I experience--bone pain.
If your doctor does not take time to answer your questions donot hesitate to get a different doctor. He may be a great diagnostician but if he cannot explain to you or is to busy then he is not a good doctor. You need to understand what is happening to your body so you are not living in fear.
W

Helpful Tips

Recover from Cancer
After treatment effects are very painfull. So to recover from such side effects you should opt for Immunotherapy kind of treatment which ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.