Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Cancer Realities: Outliving Your Prognosis
cancer treatment and the failure of doctors to give the patient all options.
worn1 posted:
I realize there is not an expert available but I need some where to vent. My husband was diagnosed with cancer on his right inside cheek. We saw 3 doctors before we were able to find one who would take my husband on as a patient. The first oncologist my husband saw did not expain all of the options. he told him only what he thought the treatment should be. When my husband when for his MRI one of the health care providers told him about a surgeon that would remove the tumor. My husband made an appointment to see him. This doctor expained all of his options and explained why he thought surgery was his best chance. My husband decided to have the surgery performed. He has some serious health problems that was the reason the first doctor would not even mention this option. and due to the size a large medical center would need to perform the surgery as the smaller hospitals were not equiped to handle his surgery. on my husbands follow up surgery the surgeon explained they were able to remove the whold tumor but there was only a 3cm margin and 5cm is preferred. He said he would like to have radiation treatments performed and he did not think chemo was necessary. When my husband went to the radiologist he was told that the doctor who had sent him for the mri wanted to talk to him. This oncologist had the nerve to tell my husband he needed chemo along with the radiation treatment as this would sensitize the area. when asked how this would sensitize the area making the radiation more affective he said free radicals. How does chemo sensitize and since chemo is not a local treatment but goes throgh the whole body is his risk for another tumor some where else greater than with out the chemo. Dosn't the doctor have a moral obligation to tell his patient what the side effects are and his chances of have another cancer form somewhere else? Dosn't the doctor have the obligation to tell the patient all of his options and let the patient decide what treatment he wants? How dare he tell another doctors patient that the surgery was a mistake that chemo and radiation should have been used as his health was good enogh for surgery. He had a 3n tumor that had not spread. we were lucky. I am so glad some one pulled my husband to the side and gave him the name of the surgeon who is treating him. He was lucky the surgeon had the skill to perform this operation and not leave him deformed. The tumor not only was on the cheek but on his gum at the top of his mouth which resulted in the removal of 4 teeth and a scar on the outside of his cheek. We have been married for 29 years and I thank God that my husband is still with me and the tumor was completley removed. Now if we can make it to the 5 year mark with out any more tumors.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
worn1 - thank you for sharing that story - how upsetting that must have been.

I'm so glad you found that surgeon - it sounds like your husband is also lucky to have such a supportive and loving wife to stand by his side !

When is your 30th wedding anniversary? Any big plans? You should have a blow out for it!

Haylen

Helpful Tips

Cancer
Have your friend learn as much as possible about his or her illness, nutrition, etc. The American Cancer Society and their cancer center ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.