Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Cancer Realities: Outliving Your Prognosis
Pancreatic cancer followed by Micro heart attack, doctor doesn't want to operate, what to do/where to go?
Pahtsan posted:
I would really like some expert advice on this. A close friend of my parents was recently diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. Originally he was scheduled to have surgery about a week after the diagnosis. A few days prior to his surgery appointment, he suffered a micro heart attack because of a clogged artery. Now the surgeon at Cedar Sinai Med Center (Los Angeles, CA) is refusing to operate until his heart heals up in several months (supposedly the anesthesia for the cancer surgery could present a problem for his heart). Also, another doctor told him that chemotherapy is ineffective in his case.

My question is, what should he do? Is it best to risk putting off surgery for several months while the cancer spreads? Is there a better cancer center that he should visit? Obviously locally (in California) would be preferable, but anywhere in the country would be fine if the center is considered good for his situation. Thanks in advance!

P.S. please give me a brief idea of where you get your info e.g. personal experience (patient) or expertise (as a doctor).

worn1 responded:
www.hopkinsmedicine.org
John Hopkins has an excellent reputation in the D.C. area. They are located in Baltimore Maryland. The above is their web site.

George Washington University Hospital in Washington D.C. has an excellent cancer center. My husband is being treated for oral cancer and is doing quite well. His is an aggressive cancer that requires a check up every 6 weeks for the next 5 years.

FYI my husband was turned down 3 times for surgery before he found an excellent surgeon. The 3 doctors that turned down thought the surgery too dangerous and the 4th doctor said no problem.

w

Anon_183837 replied to worn1's response:
What is the better option to treat pancreatic cancer? by surgery or therapy only? I have a relative who has pancretic cancer.

worn1 replied to Anon_183837's response:
Anon
I can not answer your question. It depends on how far spread the cancer is. Is it a small local tumor? has is spread out side of the pacreas? Your relative will need to set down with a doctor and discuss all of the options. surgery, radiation and chemo, chemo by itself or a combination of all three. Tell your relative to remember it is his decision not the doctors. It is his life. The decision must be his. If the doctor refuses to discuss all options or do what your relative wants find another doctor. Make sure to check out the doctor through the web or references from other patients. Observe the office surroundings. How the doctor interacts, answers questions. If he can not or will not answer your questions leave. He is not a good doctor. The doctor should want to educate and show you what he is talking about and tell you all of your options. He will make a suggestion as to the type of treatment he recommends but will either do what your relative wants or recommend you to some one who will. I can not stress enough it is the patients decision not the doctors or family. His/her life is at stake. The decision must be the patients.

w

Helpful Tips

THE CURE IS ALTERNATIVE MEDICINE
PLANTS (HERBS) HAVE BEEN AROUND SINCE THE BEGINNIG THERE IS A CURE IT IS TOXIC TO ALL CANCER CELL WITHOUT HARMING YOUR HEALTHY CELL YOU ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.