Skip to content

Announcements

Cancer Realities: Outliving Your Prognosis
Taking Action -- Kidney Cancer
inquiry1234 posted:
Hello, A loved one has recently informed me of an illness in Kidney Cancer.

It is malignant, and through blood work has shown to have spread to the brain. Symptoms are back pain (by the kidney right side), zing/weak feeling on the right leg sometimes, head aches, rusty looking urine, and being very tired and excessive sleeping most of the day while staying up most of the night. We have been told to wait for now to hear from more research and blood results, however it is taking longer than expected and I am very worried as to if something should be done right now vs. waiting.

If there is ANY information or suggestions you have that may be helpful/informative I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you so much.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
inquiry1234,

The wait for results must be extremely frustrating and anxiety causing! Have you contacted your loved ones doctor and explained in detail the immediate problems? It sounds like urgent intervention to relieve the pain is important. sympoms? There might be some treatment that can relieve these while you wait for an action plan.

Often, we have to be an aggressive advocate for our own heath! I think this is one of these situations. If your loved one is unable to do this, perhaps a family member can be their voice.

Here is a link to the WebMD article that might give you addition information: Understanding Kidney Cancer

Please report back and let us know the results. I may be able to point you to more resources for information.

Haylen

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi inquiry1234,

I'm checking in to see if you have research and test results yet?

Haylen

inquiry1234 replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Haylen,

Thank you so much for your replies. Unfortunately there have been no results as of yet. The patient went in about a week ago to have current blood work done, and still hasn't heard back. I am very confused.. I want to be pushy and simply take them in myself and see what's going on but every time I mention something of the sort I get my head bitten off. In the mean time, there are good days and bad days where they can hardly ride in the car because of so much pain. I'm going crazy. Might not be much you can do for me, but I appreciate the responses very much! Thank you.

worn1 replied to inquiry1234's response:
inquiry1234
Do not become pushy and take over. I did and my husband band me from goining with him when he sees the doctor. Your loved one is in so much pain he is lashing out at you. this is not intentional. Besides the pain your loved one is scared out of his/her wits. The way my husband explains the pain he has is it like having surgery with no anesthesia, it is constant 24/7. He just finished chemo/radiation combo.
Ask your love one if you can talk to his/her doctor about pain and how to control it. Try to do this on one of the good days.
There is no reason not to be on pain medication.
I know you are going crazy.The way I delt with the waiting was talking to my sister on the really bad days, immerse my self in my work and house cleaning. I know it is hard but give your loved one time to deal with it. Stay in the picture and when he/she is ready they will talk to you about what they are going through.

w

inquiry1234 replied to worn1's response:
Thank you so much for your response. It is incredibly hard for me to sit and wait when I'm so concerned. I want to make sure everything is being done now that can be so that later there is now "if you didn't wait so long" news. I know sometimes this is hard to prevent, but I need to make sure that the patient is really on top of what they need to be doing for treatment, and nothing is getting in the way.

Thank you once again very much for your response

inquiry1234 replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
I have just been informed of new information from current blood work. The location of the tumor in the brain is sort of in the middle of the head, behind the nose. From what the patient has told me, they have told us to wait since the location is too deep in the head to operate because the tumor is about the size of a small marble. I have also been told that chemo will not be as effective because of the location as well.

Opinions?

Helpful Tips

esophogeal cancer
I was diagnosed with esophogeal cancer in March of 2010. I was told that the mortality rate for this type of cancer was low. I was sent to ... More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 9 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.