Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Cancer/Relationship Question, Issue With Ex-Girlfriend
An_240282 posted:
I broke up with my girlfriend about 1-1/2 years ago. It was a rough, abusive relationship. She was out of control emotionally and did things that pushed me away from her to the point that we broke up. In my opinion it was a horrible relationship.

She keeps on trying to "re-connect" with me and most times I blow it off. She's been wanting to have sex with me lately, but I didn't agree with it.

Now, she contacts me and says that she has cancer. Cancer is a very serious thing to deal with. At first, I told her that she's nuts and that I don't care. But, I feel like I do care. She seems to keep on wanting me to be a shoulder to lean on, but it's hard for me to agree to this, because we had such a bad relationship.

When I told her that I don't care, she wrote a long email back to me, telling me I should seek help. I understand why she would say and feel like that. I ignored her reply and a couple of days later, out of the kindness of my heart, I wrote back to her to ask how she's feeling.

I'm confused. I'm not sure if I should let her cancer be a reason for us to get back in touch and start caring about each other, or if we should still keep our distance.

As much as I hated her actions during our relationship and as much as I despised her behavior in so many ways, I now have this curiosity to know that she's doing well. On one hand I want to show no care and ignore her situation. On the other hand, I want to be there for her, at least emailing back and forth and being supportive.

What are your thoughts?

An_240282 responded:
So, nobody has any thoughts or advice on this situation?

worn1 responded:
anon
. Why have any communication if you have negative feelings for her. Health wise a positive attitude helps with recovery and a negative can slow down recovery and lead to depression. Going back into a relationship with her benefits no one.

w

georgiagail responded:
I may sound a tad cynical here but you have no accurate information that said girlfriend does have "cancer".

The fact that she appears to be a fairly manipulative and rather obsessive individual in terms of wanting to get back together with you would suggest it might not be unrealistic for her to invent a serious disease in an attempt to "guilt" you back with her.

Gail

Helpful Tips

THE CURE IS ALTERNATIVE MEDICINE
PLANTS (HERBS) HAVE BEEN AROUND SINCE THE BEGINNIG THERE IS A CURE IT IS TOXIC TO ALL CANCER CELL WITHOUT HARMING YOUR HEALTHY CELL YOU ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.