Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Dyspnea
shylori1 posted:
I have been going through my father's medical records and it states present illness Dyspnea, to my understanding, please correct me if I am wrong is lung cancer. My father has been receiving treatment for prostate cancer. It also states he has severe copd but his oxygen saturation is 94%. they wanted to do an XRT can someone provide me with some information on this. Still confused and trying to understand.

worn1 responded:
shylori1
I am not a tactful person so please do not become angry. Did your father give you permission to check out his records? Have you spoken to his doctor?
I can not tell you if your father has cancer only your father and his doctor know the answer to that question. That is the reason I asked the above questions, That being said Dyspnea relates to shortness of breath. COPD stands for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. It is not one disease but a term used to describe chronic lung diseases such as bronchitis and emphysema. Signs of COPD are cough, coughing up mucus or phlegm, difficult breathing and shortness of breath, wheezing and chest tightness. XRT is a term used for radiation therapy.
I am now going to give you information you did not ask for but before I do so I want you to understand you need to talk to your fathers doctor to get the information you want. Simply ask has the prostate cancer spread to other areas of my fathers body and what is his prognosis and does my father know.
Signs of secondary lung cancer--cancer that has spread from the original site--are a cough that does not clear up, breathlessness, coughing up bloody phlegm and pain or discomfort in the chest. Some of the tests used to diagnose lung cancer are:
Chest x-ray
CT scan
MRI
PET scan
Biopsy

w

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi shylori1!

worn1 has giving you great information. Being confused is normal when facing so much information. If you are the point person for your fathers care, please make sure you take notes and ask the doctors if you have any questions.

Click the link below to find more information on dyspnea from the WebMD Answers Cente r:

What is dyspnea?

Best to you and your father,

Haylen

shylori1 replied to worn1's response:
Thank you for your response. I am angry I am researching his medical records and looking for answer's. I have put phone calls to his doctor's they do not return calls. My father was taking Lupron which caused major depression, He took his own life in September. Just looking for some information.

worn1 replied to shylori1's response:
shylori1
I'm sorry your father is no longer with us. What other questions do you have? I will answer what I can--I am a Medical Laboratory Technologist. I have worked in the lab for close to 30 years. I'm sorry the doctors who treated your father will not take the time to talk to you. Most doctors I have worked with will answer questions. If you are looking at a possible malpractice I recommend you see a lawyer who specializes in medical malpractice. They will hire the medical experts to go through your fathers medical records.
Haylen do you have any suggestions?

w

FEVI pulomonary function test pre-treatment=16% post treatment 16% I was reading up on COPD I was trying to understand about COPD about what stage he was in. This was January 2011. In January of 2011 it says History of Present Ilness. Dyspnea, Depression. They also wanted to do an XRT trying to understand an XRT. Under Physcial findings they say BP-Sitting L Regular
BP Cuff Size regular
Pulse Rate Sitting 110 bpm
Weight 159 lbs
Oxygen Saturation 94%
I hope you can help me with some answeres cause I do have more questions

shylori1
There are 4 stages
at risk
mild copd
moderate copd
severe copd

AT RISK
breathing test is normal, chronic cough and sputum are present. this stage is there is a possiblity of developing copd but not definite

MILD COPD
the breathing test shows mild airflow limitations although you may not be aware of it. you have a chronic cough and sputum production.

SEVERE COPD
this is the final stageof the disease. You will have severe airflow limitations and become short of breath after just a little movement. You will have respitory failure with a possibility of the right side of your heart starting to fail--heart failure.

The pulomonary function test measures how much air can be inhaled/exhaled and how fast.
FEV1 is the amount of air that is forcibly exhaled at the end of the first second .

I am not sure how radiation fits in with copd.. I will do some web surfing to see what i can find out.
Am I answering your question?

w

worn1 replied to worn1's response:
I forgot one of the stages

MODERATE COPD
the breathing test shows worsinign airflow limitation.the symptoms are shortness of breath when walking briskly or working hard.

yes your answere's are helping me understand some things. My dad did not walk very far without having to sit because he was out of breath. The last 2 days I was taking care of him after work he was different it was not him. He had very sad eye's he told to be brave and strong for my sister. My nephew is very and will be passing anytime. He would say I don't want to drive anymore give your sister the car. Don't forget my pin number you will need it. When I arrived with his dinner on Friday I found him. This is something I wish upon no parent to do to a child so its very hard right now because I am angry at him . I look for answere's so I can forgive him. In one of his visits it states from the doctor that he was going to ask my dad on his next visit about his depression. Dr. knew he was depressed, offered medication (whats knew) My dad response was no.he wanted to know why he was feeling this way. Lupron I have been reading on it, Everything I have read has been negativity. I see the side affects is depression.

shylori1
Your father was proboably (SP) in the severe copd catagory. Also there was a possibility that the cancer had spread to his lungs. Your father had most likely had reached a point where he could not take the pain anymore. I know he was on pain medication but there comes a time when it does not always work. My husband is currently battleing cancer. He says the pain is so bad sometimes, eventhough he is on pain medication, that having his great toe amputated with out anthesia would have been less painful. He also just had his great toe amputated.,due to gangrene from diabetes so he knows what he is talking about. When you are in constant pain it takes its toll. Before I was diagnosed with Parkinsons I was in constant pain. There came a point one day when I had a conversation with God. I was considering suiside and asked for his help. If the diagnosis had not been made when it had I would not be here today. So do not be angry with your father . Be angry at the cancer for taking him away from you.
Have I helped you understand how he could committ suicide?

w

worn1 replied to worn1's response:
Shylori1
web md also has a depression community who can answer your question on depression better than I can. i believe there is an expert on board who can explsin about the drug you are questioning. I can tell you the warning signs but when it comes to treatment that is where the experts take over. I am not giving you the brush off. IF there is an expert available I beleive in getting the information from them. Let me know if he was able to help
w

Thank You I am understanding for the information you have given me and I will seek information on the lupron. there is a long journey ahead. I am glad he suffers no more.

Helpful Tips

THE CURE IS ALTERNATIVE MEDICINE
PLANTS (HERBS) HAVE BEEN AROUND SINCE THE BEGINNIG THERE IS A CURE IT IS TOXIC TO ALL CANCER CELL WITHOUT HARMING YOUR HEALTHY CELL YOU ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.