Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Cancer Realities: Outliving Your Prognosis
Does sugarless chewing gum cause oral cancer?
nicholasprady posted:
Hi,

Despite searching online for several days, I could not find a good, definitive answer to this question!

A couple of studies from 2006 have indicated that chewing gum actually REDUCES chances of oral cancer. Plus, it is beneficial for oral hygiene in the general sense. However, I havent specifically seen studies that checked whether SUGARLESS chewing gum has any oral cancer risk. Do ingredients like "Natural and artificial flavors", "colors", "gum base", Acesulfame, BHT carry any cancer risks? How many sticks per day are ok?

Any expert advice on this?

Thanks

Take the Poll

How many sugarless chewing gum sticks do you chew each day?
  • <2
  • 3-5
  • 6-10
vote
View Poll Results

georgiagail responded:
There is no evidence to indicate chewing sugarless gum being linked to oral cancer.

The biggest risk to oral cancer remains tobacco abuse, although oral HPV is also a factor.

Gail

Shmoopie replied to georgiagail's response:
I too have the question about sugarless gum causing cancer. I have oral cancer, and I don't have any of the causes that are listed for it. I chew a lot of sugarless gum, sometimes a pack in one day. I chew three pieces at a time and sometimes fall asleep with it in my mouth. I believe that something in sugarless gum causes cancer.

BarbaraAnnL replied to Shmoopie's response:
I think that Shmoopie is right.

Aspartame is most certainly devastatingly toxic when ingested, but a like amount is immensely worse when obtained from chewing gum.

Read this:

http://www.wnho.net/aspartame_chewing_gum.htm

georgiagail replied to BarbaraAnnL's response:
This article, posted back in 2005, has no scientfic basis to back up its claims whatsoever.

Gail

Helpful Tips

Cancer
Have your friend learn as much as possible about his or her illness, nutrition, etc. The American Cancer Society and their cancer center ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.