Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Cancer Realities: Outliving Your Prognosis
Testing for Cancer ?
dawns61 posted:
Hi,I just saw my pain management Dr. for other problems,but I have lost 90lbs over 1 1/2 yrs and cant gain any bit of it back.I'm tired all the time and have no strength for anything .I cant walk but maybe a 1/2 block.I had an elecronic pain stimulator put in for back and right side sciatic pain thats not working at all,anyhow my pain Dr wants me to get blood work and get tested for cancer ? And I was wondering how they do this to know if I do have it or not since there are so many different types of cancer ? I do have a painful spot in my groin area that had showed a lytic lession before.but my Dr never followed up with that. Can someone please help ? I'm so confused. Thank you

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
dawns61,

I believe this is a question for your doctor. Has he written a lab order yet? Have you had the tests done?

Blood work is used to detect several types of cancer but only your doctor will know the specifics.

Please keep actively working with your health care providers to address your pain, fatigue and weight loss!

Haylen

dawns61 replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thank you Haylen,My dr, had no idea what to test for and told me she has no idea why Im loosing so much weight ,so she did do a cbc but havent gotten back the results yet.Otherwise she said she doesnt know what else to do for me .

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to dawns61's response:
It sounds like it might be time for a second opinion!

I'm not sure this doctor is being proactive based on your symptoms.

Haylen

Helpful Tips

Cancer
Have your friend learn as much as possible about his or her illness, nutrition, etc. The American Cancer Society and their cancer center ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.