Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Cancer Realities: Outliving Your Prognosis
Worried Newbie
aquariusmind posted:
Hello to all,

I am new here and haven't been diagnosed, I actually haven't even been to the doctor yet. I'm waiting for my health insurance to kick in first, I have two more weeks left I am having issues with my thyroid. I have for quite some time. In 2003 shortly after my first daughter was born my GP told me "Oh you have a goiter." she sent me to for bloodwork which showed a "low" but normal result. Because of insurance changes I had to switch doctors a few times but I made sure to carry the information over. In 2006 I switched doctors again and he felt my thyroid and sent me for an ultrasound, the results were that I had 2 small masses and 2 cyst like lumps but they appeared benign so follow up in 6 months. My current marriage fell apart and I lost my insurance so I never followed up. I never even made it a second thought, assuring myself "I'm young, I'll be fine." It wasn't until this past year that I really felt it bugging me. Like something in the back of my mind telling me something wasn't right. After my second child I lost a lot of my baby weight, getting down to my high school weight. But in the last year I've gained all of it back and then some. I thought it was due to poor exercise because I eat healthy. I've had a lot of coughs and sore throats, but put it off as "must be allergies". But in the past few months I've felt a lot of pain not just as a sore throat but sharp pains shooting through my neck, I get a weird taste at the back of my throat and my inner ears are always sore and I get a "popping" like when you're driving through the mountains, but I live at very low eleation in the desert. About three months ago I noticed that I feel like I have something in the back of my throat, it makes it hard to swallow sometimes and I sound "winded" when I breathe. A few days ago I noticed that my right collar bone sticks out more than my left, my right side of my neck is prominently more swollen and this morning saw this purpleish/blueish ring around my neck almost like I had a piece of rope around my neck or something. I get headaches and "brain fog" quite a lot too....A part of me is telling me that I am silly and I am fine. I will turn 28 in February and I am a single mother to two young girls. But a part of me sasy something is not right too.

Has anyone had similar symptoms? I know I need to go see a dr about this and will ASAP but I guess just needing to say it all out loud since I don't want to worry my family & friends with all this.

Any advice is much appreciated!

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
If one of your daughters had these alarming symptoms would you say "don't be silly, you are fine?" I doubt it! I completely understand your fear and anxiety. But with 2 young girls, you need to take care of yourself so you can take care of them.

PLEASE made an appointment immediately to get checked out. You can work with the doctors office for payment until your insurance kicks in.

I'd love for you to check back in after you've been to the doctor! And don't take an appointment far in the future, insist that you need to be seen ASAP.

Haylen

aquariusmind replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
You make a good point. I guess at my age you don't think "I could have cancer" or something serious. I will call tomorrow (hopefully they're open) if not tuesday for certain and get in asap. I will hopefully come back with news of some kind soon. Thanks for the advice!

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to aquariusmind's response:
You are welcome - give those kids a big hug!

Haylen

Helpful Tips

esophogeal cancer
I was diagnosed with esophogeal cancer in March of 2010. I was told that the mortality rate for this type of cancer was low. I was sent to ... More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 9 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.