Melatonin for sleep
Anon_11642 posted:
Is it okay to take melatonin for insomnia 6 mg I take timed release. It really helps me but don't know if it is safe since I had breast cancer in 2003 - I am 68 years old and have trouble sleeping for many years - melatonin seems to help but do not want to put myself at risk for breast cancer - anyway will ask my dr on Monday but wondering other healthcare people what they say. Thank you.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi anon!

What did your doctor say? I'm interested to hear!

Also, we have a great breast cancer community - many smart, supportive women if you ever have questions or just want to chat: WebMD Breast Cancer Community

Haylen

sunflower1943 replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Hi - I did hear back from my doc's NP - there is no problem with taking melatonin to help me sleep so I am taking it again and slept great last night - I don't plan on taking it every night but am glad I can take it.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to sunflower1943's response:
Oh good! Lack of sleep can cause all types of health problems - as well as making a day not-so-fun.

Glad you had a good night - here's to many more!

H

Jerseygirl77 responded:
What is the reply to this question?

Jerseygirl77 responded:
MY DOC RECOMMENDS IT I take 6mg for over a year now. Sometimes I wake up with headache. IF YOU READ UP ON IT SEEMS IT HAS MORE POSTIVE THAN ANY NEGATIVES
GO TO OTHER SITES AND DO MORE READING IT TELLS YOU A LOT:)