Skip to content

Announcements

Cancer Realities: Outliving Your Prognosis
Melatonin for sleep
Anon_11642 posted:
Is it okay to take melatonin for insomnia 6 mg I take timed release. It really helps me but don't know if it is safe since I had breast cancer in 2003 - I am 68 years old and have trouble sleeping for many years - melatonin seems to help but do not want to put myself at risk for breast cancer - anyway will ask my dr on Monday but wondering other healthcare people what they say. Thank you.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi anon!

What did your doctor say? I'm interested to hear!

Also, we have a great breast cancer community - many smart, supportive women if you ever have questions or just want to chat: WebMD Breast Cancer Community

Haylen

sunflower1943 replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Hi - I did hear back from my doc's NP - there is no problem with taking melatonin to help me sleep so I am taking it again and slept great last night - I don't plan on taking it every night but am glad I can take it.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to sunflower1943's response:
Oh good! Lack of sleep can cause all types of health problems - as well as making a day not-so-fun.

Glad you had a good night - here's to many more!

H

Jerseygirl77 responded:
What is the reply to this question?

Jerseygirl77 responded:
MY DOC RECOMMENDS IT I take 6mg for over a year now. Sometimes I wake up with headache. IF YOU READ UP ON IT SEEMS IT HAS MORE POSTIVE THAN ANY NEGATIVES
GO TO OTHER SITES AND DO MORE READING IT TELLS YOU A LOT:)

Helpful Tips

Recover from Cancer
After treatment effects are very painfull. So to recover from such side effects you should opt for Immunotherapy kind of treatment which ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.