Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Cancer Realities: Outliving Your Prognosis
Lung Cancer and continuing to smoke
Anon_881 posted:
My mothers cancer started out as lung cancer and then spread to other area's in her body. She did chemo and it knocked out all the cancer spots except for a very small spot on her lungs. Three months later her cancer in her lung has grown and it has also spread out to other organs once again.

The other day I was talking to my father and I found out that she never quit smoking. This entire time she continued to smoke. I just don't understand why she would do that. She went through the shock of finding out she had cancer, she went through the hell of Chemo and all that it did to her body, she is going through another round of Chemo which is causing her to be ill, she even ended up in the hospital for a week.

I don't understand why she would even bother going through chemo if she is just going to continue to smoke. I'm frustrated, hurt and so very confused.

georgiagail responded:
I've often wondered why some of the lung cancer patients we see continue to abuse tobacco, even going outside to smoke while wearing oxygen (now THAT'S scary).

In the end though, these are adults and they make their own choices.

Perhaps your mother realizes that this chemotherapy she is undergoing is only palliative as opposed to being a curative approach to her cancer.

Gail

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Just came across this blog you may be interested in -

You've Got Caner? Why Are You Smoking?

Looking at the comments, lots of food for thought. What do you think?

Elizabeth

ervinburch replied to Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff's response:
Indeed , it is pretty sad to hear that. You should personally try to request her to quit smoking for her children sake as it would only do her more harm. If you need any help on this topic, i am there to help you.

An_251000 replied to ervinburch's response:
I am sorry about your mother. For some people it is very difficult to stop smoking. With lung cancer it is difficult to understand but it is a fact. Perhaps she feels the suffering of stopping smoking is worse than the cancer itself and that it is anyway too late, or she simply can not stop. Sooner or later it will be found out why certain people can not stop smoking. Did you ask her?

Helpful Tips

Cancer
Have your friend learn as much as possible about his or her illness, nutrition, etc. The American Cancer Society and their cancer center ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.