Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Cancer Realities: Outliving Your Prognosis
Am i just overthinking or could this be lymphoma?
Hockeylax889 posted:
Hi,
Sorry in advance, this is going to be a long question. Back in August I noticed a lump in my groin area and I kept an eye on it for a while but it didn't seem to go away although it did grow and shrink. By the time I decided I should probably get it checked out it was time for me to move back to school, and so I wasn't able to get it checked out. The lump was never painful, although at times it had a strange/tender feeling. I spent the whole semester constantly worrying about it and as the semester went on other symptoms appeared (these may or may not have been caused from anxiety and over thinking it) such as a strange feeling in my armpit(s). Im not sure how to describe it besides a strange feeling because it didn't hurt, it just felt almost as if I had a shirt on that was too small, even when I wasn't wearing a shirt. I never found any kind of lump in either armpit (which leads me to believe I was only experiencing the feeling because I was afraid the lump in my groin was lymphoma). I also had a lump on/below my earlobe, but this lump would come and go. Towards the end of the semester i noticed I was constantly tired and had a decreased appetite, but I convinced myself it was because I was stressed from school and not sleeping well. I had also lost anywhere from 5-10 pounds, but as I have an incredibly fast metabolism and can lose weight by sitting on a couch eating ice cream I didn't think much of it at first. When the semester was over (just after Christmas) I went to my regular doctor about the lump in my groin. I meant to ask about the other symptoms but I figured if I had cancer they would be able to find it from the lump and the other symptoms weren't as tangible. The doctor said he wasn't worried about it, but just to be sure sent me to a urologist to get it checked out. The urologist again said he wasn't worried after a physical examination. His explanation was that its normal for lymph nodes to grow (and sometimes stay enlarged) and that it was probably only noticeable because of how skinny I am. After this I put the whole thing out of my mind for a while, until I found a lump in my neck. When I found the lump in my neck I was utterly convinced I had cancer but I had already gone back to school. The lump in my ear (that had been coming and going) moved to more of the back of my ear. When school started to pick up I noticed I was constantly tired, but also "out of it" all the time, almost as if I was watching someone else live my life as points.
Other notes: The lump in my neck went away after a couple of weeks, and looking back on it, it was probably just a pimple. Also another reason why I was/am so freaked out is that my dad had lymphoma when he was my age.
My question is how urgent is it that I go back to the doctors. I know I should go again, if for nothing else but peace of mind, but right now I am at school and can't go to my usual doctor. I'd have to miss school to go to the doctors again, so can I wait a month or so until spring break to go to the doctors?
My thoughts: I looked up feeling out of It all the time cause this really bothered me, and I found that it can be caused by anxiety (its called depersonalization or something like that) which made be start to think that I really don't have many tangible symptoms and maybe this could all be in my head? The lingering issues such as the lumps in my groin/ear still have me concerned though.
Thanks for any feedback!

Curlsgalore responded:
Hello to you! I see there are no replies. You said you went to a couple of doctors who did a physical, but did any of them do any bloodwork, like a CBC with differential??? Just curious. You are so concerned and you would be so much happier if you knew a little more. At any rate, that is what I am thinking. I wish you well!!

Curly Girl

Helpful Tips

Cancer
Have your friend learn as much as possible about his or her illness, nutrition, etc. The American Cancer Society and their cancer center ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.