Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Cancer Realities: Outliving Your Prognosis
can a lymph node biopsy be wrong?
jahzrk posted:
About two years ago I found a lump in my neck. It was only one swollen lymph node on the right side of my neck. I told my regular doctor about it, and she told me to keep an eye on it. After 9 months, it was still swollen. She then sent me for a x-ray of my neck. They found a few swollen lymph nodes in my neck, and two nodules on my thyroid. She then sent me to an endocrinologist, and an ear,nose, and throat doctor.

The Endo. sent my for blood work and an ultrasound of my neck. It turned out I had hypothyroidism. I was put on 25 mg of Synthroid. The Ultrasound came back normal. She told my my nodules were too small to biopsy and she could not even feel them when feeling for them. However, after 6 months, I went back to her and she did say she felt a small nodule (which, to me, meant it had grown).

The ENT doctor wanted to be safe, so he sent me for a biopsy. He went in to remove one lymph node, however they were so swollen, two were removed because they were stuck together. The results came back and did not show evidence of cancer. I have never been diagnosed, never been given a reason as to why my lymph nodes were swollen.

After my mind was at ease, I just let it go. However, in the past six months the lymph nodes of the other side of my neck are swollen. Lymph nodes in my jaw are swollen, under my chin, and throughout my neck. Along with the swollen nodes, I have a full feel on the left side of my neck, and a strange pressure/ache from my left ear to the bottom of my neck. I do notice when I wear sweatshirts and necklaces, it does seem to irritate my neck.

I am very nervous that the biopsy could have possibly missed the cancer. Or I am considering that I may have thyroid cancer. I have felt very weak/tired lately. And am very light headed after standing up. I would really appreciate advice as to if any other people had symptoms such as this, and what their diagnosis was.

I go back to the Endo. tomorrow and am hoping to get some answers soon. (22 years old, female)

Thanks so much!

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.