Skip to content

Announcements

Cancer Realities: Outliving Your Prognosis
Help !!! Post Chemo Depression and Generalized Anxiety Disorder
ronniejr37 posted:
I was diagnosed with Stage 2A testicular cancer in June of 2011. I had the surgery in July of 2011. Chemo Started in Sept 2011 and was completed Dec 2011. I relocated (Temporarily) back to Southern California for my Chemo and to have my family close and for the support. I got the info on the side effects of each of the 3 Chemo drugs I was on. I experianced most of them from mild to severe during the treatments. I am still, after 1.5 years experiancing some of the physical side effects such as the neuropathy in the hands and feet, ringning in the ears, skin and nail problems and a few others. I am dealing with these and most of these side effects were explained by my treatment team. However, here is the kicker. No one ever mentioned the Anxiety, Depression and possible PTSD that some people get after the Chemo and radiation. Well, It looks like I am one of the low percenters that experiance this. I returned to work (Executive Management) and with in 9 months, I could no longer function. I would have these major panic attacks, depression, but I did not recognize the symptoms> I was also extremly fatigued all the time but could not sleep. I had to resign my position becuse I could not do my job but I did not or could not understand why. I returned back to Southern California and within a week, I was working in another Executive Managment Field. Not knowing what was wrong with me, I tried to work but could not, couldnt focus, I was aggitated all the time, could not sit still, I would snap and yell at my employees. My position required the reading of financial reports and technical drawings. I would stare at them and could not figure them out, This was my job. I could no longer manage my people and it went down hill fast. After 6 months I was terminated. I have never been fired from a job before ! so this really hurt. I run in to a friend I had not seen in years, 32 to be exact, turns out she is an oncology nurse in Wisconsin...WOW....We talked for hours. She says I am probably one of the low percenters that is suffering from Post Chemo Severe Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Depression, possibly PTSD and cognitive changes and disorders due to the Chemo treatments. She suggested I see my Oncologist immediatly, well, I am now unemployed, no medical insurance. Does anyone have any resources or information on what or where I can go to get treatment ??? Please Help, any information would be great AND has anyone else had post chemo depression / Anxiety this sever after 1.5 years

leg255 responded:
I know exactly how you feel.I had colon cancer two years ago,but I'm still dealing with side effects from the chemo. I had chemo brain and cancer related fatigue Everything left me with constant anxiety. Do I feel the way you do. My family doesn't understand how I feel mentally and physically. Because they didn't have to go through whst. I went through. I'm just so fatigued all the time. It's been a year since I finished chemo, You check to see if you have a free clinic in your area or perhaps talk to your oncologist.

leg255 replied to leg255's response:
I mean I have chemo brain and cancer related fatigue.I take ativan for my anxiety.

ronniejr37 replied to leg255's response:
Thanks, well, its been about 2.5 years now. I still have the fatigue but it runs from minor to moderate. I would not consider it major anymore. It does still effect my daily life, but it is now manageable. I still have problems concentrating with anxiety and panic attacks, less frequent but still very bothersome. I am back to work and have been for over a year. So I can now keep up on my checkups which was a huge piece of mind. I am still experiencing some side effects that according to my Doctors are most likely permanent. The ringing in the ears with a confirmed permanent hearing loss of about 30 to 40%, loss of breath and pain in the legs. I also have the numbness in my hands a feet...So for the most part, I am getting along OK. It is a daily struggle but so far after the first 1.5 years, it is getting better

lisacolnett replied to ronniejr37's response:
The same situation is with my uncle. I am relentlessly searching for best tips to help him get rid of post-cancer stress and depression. Finally, spending a good time though, I found this link really helpful - http://www.doctorshealthpress.com/womens-health/the-best-stress-reliever-for-cancer-patients

Hope it would help to you too!

Best Wishes

Helpful Tips

Recover from Cancer
After treatment effects are very painfull. So to recover from such side effects you should opt for Immunotherapy kind of treatment which ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.