Skip to content

Announcements

Cancer Realities: Outliving Your Prognosis
White Blood Cell Count
park682 posted:
I was looking at my blood results and I had a question about my WBC result. My WBC was 4.1 THOU/ul and my sheet said normal was 4.2 Thou/ul to 10.0 THOU/ul. However, my doctor didn't say anything about it...should I be worried?

Also, 2 years ago my count was 14.4 THOU/ul but again no one said anything to me.

Thanks for your help, I'm just a little confused.

sam1985 responded:
I do not think you should be worried about as WBC level is according to your age.

georgiagail responded:
Different labs use different levels on what they consider "normal" levels. This is often dependent on the population they serve. There will always be those who fall a bit out of these "normal" levels and this means...nothing except your own body's individuality.

With white blood cell counts the concern is often more of a higher than normal rate which, with other symptoms, might imply an infection since the immune system would trigger the release of these cells to fight off such:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/complete-blood-count/MY00476/DSECTION=results

Gail

brunosbud responded:
I request a C-Reative Protein test to track levels of inflammation in my body. Sometimes it's included in standard blood testing, sometimes not.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-hyman/is-your-body-burning-up-w_b_269717.html

I also follow my A1C for signs of advancing Type 2 Diabetes.

Both of these are good indicators, for me, that my immune system is working overtime and there's something going on, somewhere, that likely shouldn't be and my body is waging war. Doctors don't always discuss negative test results with their patients due to time constraints or too much information detracting from more critical issues, at hand. Also, it's not so much a single measure that's of concern rather the relative change from one test to the next. For example, weight or body temperature. You may be overweight but if you are not gaining, that's a good thing. Lower body temperature is an indication of slower metabolism, ie. hypothyroidism, but if it's not getting lower, why go there and worry the patient unnecessarily.

Three tests for inflammation are ESR, WBC Counts and C-Reactive Protein. Inflammation is the forerunner of disease, especially cancer. If the numbers are advancing from each subsequent blood test than, hell yes, it's time to sit up and take immediate action. But, if they're declining in severity, pat yourself on the back and keep up the good work.

It's important that everyone learn ways to be their own doctor. These tests are good indicators that your lifestyle is balanced or something's not right and it's time to make changes in diet, exercise, rest, stress or all of the, above.

Helpful Tips

esophogeal cancer
I was diagnosed with esophogeal cancer in March of 2010. I was told that the mortality rate for this type of cancer was low. I was sent to ... More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 9 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.