Skip to content

Announcements

Related Communities - Stroke Community | Alzheimer's Community
grandmother won't dirnk
BeccaPreston posted:
I need some help with my grandmother, for some reason, she won't drink. She likes the flavor and everything, but she won't drink. The doctor doesn't want her to drink water, because we got her salt to low. We got that back doing fine. She eats total fine. I need some help with her drink. Is there anything I can do?? Rebecca

renalupie1 responded:
Does she answer why she won't drink? Or she can't drink? maybe she has trouble swallowing thin fluids? Maybe she heard the doctor say not to drink water and that turned into don't drink at all in her mind? Could it be easier with a straw?

If she has no issues with swallowing, encourage maybe soups, hot cereals thinned with milk etc. At least they would get fluids in her.

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
Did you get some guidelines on how much she needs to drink in a day? Is there a reason that she needs to take in more fluids?

Have you thought with going with applesauce, watermelon, cantaloupe, and other moisture heavy foods?

What about hot cocoa? sweet green tea?

I don't know if this is of any help but I found that giving my mother a sport bottle, that she doesn't spill as much, doesn't have to sit up to use, etc. helps a lot as long as it isn't too full.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I've been here at WebMD since 2007, but I've been involved in social media and moderated communities online since 1994, so you know I just lov...More

Helpful Tips

Questions to Ask About Nursing Homes
What should caregivers know about nursing home care? Long-term care for loved ones requires doing your homework. You will want to read this ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 21 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.