Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Related Communities - Stroke Community | Alzheimer's Community
Caregiver to my mom
Silpat posted:
My 66 year old mom just suffered a stroke several days ago. She is in a REHAB CENTER and is getting better.

I just need help in what to do or how to deal with this?

Thanks, Patty

Annie_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Patty,

I would suggest talking to the rehab facility's social worker to find out what programs are available in your area once your mom is well enough to be released from the rehab facility.

Is your mother getting physical and occupational therapy as part of her rehabilitation?

Do you feel that your mother would need assistance once she returns to her home (or if she lives with you)? Those are issues to bring up with your mother's doctors and the social worker so that you can line up help for her if it's necessary.

Good luck!

- Annie

aidandabet responded:
Have you thought about medical adult day care? They usually have rehab, socialization and respite for you.

Aidandabet

Sueber1 responded:
My 81 year old mother had a stroke in July and is now in a nursing home. She is completely paralyzed on her left side. She has regained her speech and recently was allowed thin liquids in her diet (she had been on thick liquids diet only). She had short-term memory loss before the stroke and is now much worse. She does not know where she is or what year it is, and does not even understand that she had a stroke but fortunately she still recognizes her family. I had no idea how I was going to get through this whole ordeal and now it looks like it could go on for a very long time.

I am now seeing a counselor who has helped me put together ideas for things to do with my Mom (we are starting a scrapbook with old family pictures, etc). The counselor also helps me explore how to accept the things I cannot change, etc. I am juggling two children, work full time and now have this crisis. I try to give myself a break once in a while and not to be too hard on myself when I can't do everything that I want to do in a day. I am also really taking things one day at a time. It's so overwhelming but by trying not to worry about things that don't matter so much is getting easier. My house is messy but there is only so much I can do. I've realized that just sitting with my mother is fine. The one active thing that I did that made me feel much better was to take my mother to a really good neurologist. He spent a lot of time with me and my mother explaining things that I did not understand like how much of her dementia now is directly and physically related to the stroke. Make sure you get the best picture you can of where your Mom is medically. Trust me, you are not alone!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a 32 year old female whom has been a caregiver for my husband. He was in a toxic chemical accident at his work and now has cervical disc disease,...More

Helpful Tips

Natural Treatments for Rheumatoid Arthritis
Looking for some natural treatments for rheumatoid arthritis, or RA? Check out this article on natural therapies that are so popular ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 20 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.