Skip to content

Announcements

Related Communities - Stroke Community | Alzheimer's Community
Mom & Dad
sweetstarrlet posted:
This year my 88 yr. old father had a nervous breakdown and tried to commit suicide due to the stress of taking care of my mother and running their household. My mother is 86 and for many years has not been able to help him out because of memory problems and mild health issues. After daddy got out of the mental health facility and skilled nursing he moved in with us, my mother was already here after the suicide attempt. I am the caregiver for both of them now. They are doing fine now and I have everything under control. I always thought I would just grow old with my cats! Sometimes it is a real challange. My life has made a 360. I have found a lady to come in so I can get some time away occasionaly. I know this situation is only going to get worse as they age. However, I am blessed with this opportunity although sometimes it does get on my nerves but I wouldn't have it any other way. I am in it for the long haul.

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
Welcome. I am glad you have gotten help around the house. I am glad they are both doing fine. I know how it can get on your nerves at the same time it is a blessing.

I look forward to hearing more from you about your parents and your caregiving challenges.

renalupie1 responded:
You are in for the job of your life! It is challenging, frustrating, time consuming and yet, probably the most rewarding thing you will ever do on this earth. Never be afraid to ask for help, I am glad to see you have someone able to come in and let you have some time away. Good for you. I was told the best advice, you cannot take care of someone else if you don't take care of yourself first. That helped me through some tough times.

Rena

Spotlight: Member Stories

I've been here at WebMD since 2007, but I've been involved in social media and moderated communities online since 1994, so you know I just lov...More

Helpful Tips

Questions to Ask About Nursing Homes
What should caregivers know about nursing home care? Long-term care for loved ones requires doing your homework. You will want to read this ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 21 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.