Skip to content

Announcements

Related Communities - Stroke Community | Alzheimer's Community
Mom had small stroke(?). Confused
scaredwife1952 posted:
Hello, This is the first time I have visited here although I was on the colon cancer board for 3 years while my husband fought cancer. I know how valuable and comforting just having someone to talk with. I will try not to make this too long.

Three weeks ago today I couldn't get hold of my mom and found her lying on the floor not able to move. She was totally conscious, able to talk just fine and did not want me to call 911, which I did anyway. They were there in a very short time and by then she couldn't talk well, very slurred speech. When they got her to the ER she couldn't be roused. After the labs were ready the ER doctor told me that she had a dangerously low potassium and started a big iv. They ordered a ct scan and the on call doctor came in to talk to my brother and I. He proceeded to tell us that she couldn't breath on her on so he put her on the vent and even tho the ct showed nothing he was convinced she had had a massive stroke and we would have 48 hours to make a big decision. About 4 hours later she was fully awake and once they got her to ICU they had to give her sleeping meds to keep her asleep. For 4 days the doctor kept telling us it was a massive stroke even tho her mouth was drooped, she could move everything and could mouth words that we could understand. After 4 days he said that she might never come off the vent and even tho the second ct showed nothing he was still insisting she had had a massive stroke. I insisted they send her 40 miles away to a larger hospital, the one my husband was in so many times, and as soon as they got her off the helicopter and into ICU that doctor turned off the vent and she was breathing just fine. The numbers were the same with it turned off as it was the whole time in the hospital at home. He said that all signs point to a very small stroke

She improved daily except for some paranoia. The doctor explained that because of the many days in ICU, plus the vent that the paranoia was common.

He sent her back over here to strictly for rehab and she has steadily gained strength but the paranoia is still with her. She thinks the nurses don't know her or where she is. Plus she thinks every time some one talks in the hall they are talking about her. Thursday they put her in a rest home with specialty rehab. Within these 3 days she has gotten able to stand almost completely by herself, walk really well with a walker and her upper body strength is fantastic.

The problem is the paranoia. It is still with her and doesn't show any signs of going away. I am so worried because my Mom has been sharp as a tack, took care of everything on her on and is so smart. She is 77 years old.

Has anyone else known anyone that the lasting side effect is paranoia? There were 2 MRI's done in the larger hospital and all it shows is 1 small spot on one side and 2 small spots on the other.

I would really appreciate any help that any one could give. dee

scaredwife1952 responded:
Sorry, I meant to say that her mouth was not drooped.

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
Paranoia can be a side effect of strokes, ventilators and of being in the ICU-it also could be related to any medications she is on. I am sorry she is having such a hard time, but glad it sounds like she is recovering.

Our Stroke Support Group might have some other ideas too.

dogsitter107 responded:
Hi, This is my very first time with anything like this web site. I just joined this morning and was looking for some help with my Mom when I read your post. It was like I had written your message, I could not believe how similar our stories are! I am having the same problem with my Mom, she had a small stroke in August and then was in a care center for rehab for a little over a month. She is back to her cane from the walker they had her using, doesn't have any problems with speech or show any signs of having had a stroke. As with your Mom, she is just very worried/paranoid and is having a difficult time with her memory and cognizance, then the stress from the worry etc. makes her more paranoid and her memory even worse! It's like a vicious cycle! I took her to our family Dr. on Tuesday, but had to be a bit sneaky because she gets upset and tears up now when I bring up any issues in front of her, so I called before the appt. talked to the nurse who put a note in her chart for the Dr. about the paranoia, memory, etc., who then was very slick and acted like some of these issues were his idea and tried to act like it was all routine and no big deal, just checking. That helped a lot, so if you can talk privately with her Dr. about your concerns and get him to go along, because if your Mom is anything like mine, they come from the era where Drs. are like Gods and what they say is Gospel, then he may be able to help squelch some of her paranoia. I don't know if this helps you at all and I have no idea how much to say or what details to go into... I've got a whole lot more going through my head, but I don't want to bother anyone with my whole story and Mom's story, etc. It would be nice to chat with someone back and forth about all this though but again, I've never done anything like this and don't really know how this works. I'd love to talk to you again, swap some stories, share some experiences, good and bad, etc. Maybe you could let me know what all I can do on this site, how to use it best, what I do now or where to go, that kind of thing I would certainly appreciate it. Thanks for listening, I hope you get this and that this was okay to send and I really hope your Mom is getting better.

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
Welcome Dogsitter. I hope you will share more of your story and questions. It is always ok to respond to a post! Post your own discussions, questions and concerns as well.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a 32 year old female whom has been a caregiver for my husband. He was in a toxic chemical accident at his work and now has cervical disc disease,...More

Helpful Tips

Natural Treatments for Rheumatoid Arthritis
Looking for some natural treatments for rheumatoid arthritis, or RA? Check out this article on natural therapies that are so popular ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 20 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.